Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 09:15 AM

Default finding potentially good tables (lc)

It's Friday and that means plenty of fish tonight. What do you look for when deciding which tables to sit at/wait for? I'm not talking about knowing when to leave the table. How do you decide which tables have the best potential? I 3-table 50NL full-ring (9-handed). Here's what I look for:

- high percentage (>35%) of players seeing the flop
- high average pot (>$10)
- 0 on the waiting list
- seats where big stacks are to my right
- find fish that you've tagged (player look-up) <-- anyone do this?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: finding potentially good tables (lc)

I do the first three every time. I play 6-max, so as long as I am not immediately left of the big stack, I don't worry too much about table position.

Stars doesn't allow you to have a buddy list (at least I haven't figured it out) so it is too cumbersome to try find certain fishies. If anyone has an easy buddy list system for Stars I'm all ears.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:26 AM

Why do you say low content? I think this is incredibly high content. One of the biggest parts of being a winning poker player is having good table selection. In any case, I first look for buddy listed players. Having one or two of these guys in my games makes a HUGE difference. If no one is on then I open up the games with the biggest average pot size and I put myself on the waiting list (these games always have waiting lists). Then I pop up the player stats for the tables and when I get my turn to sit, if there is one player with VPIP over 50 or two players with VPIP over 40 I will sit. Unless there is a good LAG directly behind me, in which case I might take a pass because that situation is just such a pain that it is not worth it unless the table is VERY good.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:32 AM

How do you pop up the player stats before you sit? Is that a Party specific feature? If so, I may need to start fishing in a different lake.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:32 AM

I'm finding table VP$IP and pot size waxes and wanes over a couple of hours, at least at the $25s. So I pay less attention to overall table stats.

I look for sizable stacks and high VP$IP to my right.

The only thing that vetoes a table for me is too many TAG players: VP$IP < 25%, aggr > 1.0.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you say low content? I think this is incredibly high content. One of the biggest parts of being a winning poker player is having good table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought no hand meant no content. Anyway, I think table selection is huge. Realizing that you've picked a bad table (for your style of play) is also important.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars doesn't allow you to have a buddy list (at least I haven't figured it out) so it is too cumbersome to try find certain fishies. If anyone has an easy buddy list system for Stars I'm all ears.

[/ QUOTE ]
This aint an very easy way but, just search for the player under "Find Player" then he will appear in the list there next time you log in to Pokerstars, you can also remove players from that list if you want. This is not nearly as good as the Party-feature but it works.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This aint an very easy way but, just search for the player under "Find Player" then he will appear in the list there next time you log in to Pokerstars, you can also remove players from that list if you want. This is not nearly as good as the Party-feature but it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use that as well and agree it is CUMBERSOME. I might put this request in the ASK LEE JONES thread in the Internet Gambling Forum
Old 11-04-2005, 09:54 AM

I use to search for players in my buddylist to start with. If I don't find one I'll just look for a table with no big stack, more than 1.5 buy-in. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I only play 6-max NL.

When I'm at the table I use to leave if it doesnt feel right or the stats of the other players tells me they are good.

Guess I have to do work some with my table selection.

I almost never leave a table if its one BIG fish at it even if the rest of the table is good players.

Is one BIG fish enough for a table to stay at it? What do you other guys think?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you say low content? I think this is incredibly high content. One of the biggest parts of being a winning poker player is having good table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought no hand meant no content. Anyway, I think table selection is huge. Realizing that you've picked a bad table (for your style of play) is also important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Occasionally sitting at a table that makes your style of play difficult can be excellent from a learning standpoint as it forces you to take a different approach.