Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 01:27 PM

Default I need a mentor (lc)

I'm in a bad rut, and one of you guys has to talk me out of it.

The brief history: Started playing online about a year ago, bought the books, read most of them, invested $100, donked around everywhere on Party -- SNGs, cash limit & NL. Eventually put in $600 total, discovered 2+2 after 4 or 5 months, focused on cash NL, turned the game around, and slowly but surely, over about 5 months, won month after month and built a roll to $1100.

Then I took a shot at $50s and went on some weird kind of long-term tilt, doing just plain dumb, undisciplined stuff, back through the $25s and all the way down to $300 in the account. You know -- "call his raise anyway, see what he has, damn he had it", etc.

I have the grey matter to beat the game, but I often lack the patience. My day job earns me a comfortable six figures, so it's hard to take the dollars seriously at $25NL, which is definitely part of my problem. But I just can't buy the "move up now, you'll take the game more seriously" line, for obvious reasons (i.e., what if, in fact, I SUCK?). The day job is also hard work, and I have a family to support, so time is limited.

But if I'm going to play this damn game, I demand of myself that I play it successfully.

So what do I do next? I've been playing some 1-table SNGs again, and beating the snot out of them -- maybe luck, but what I've learned on this forum those guys don't seem to have any clue about. Should I just shift gears back to SNG until I've rebuilt the roll?

Somebody take me under their wing, give me some good advice, smack me around. Thanks for any input.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: I need a mentor (lc)

Don't tilt.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of your posts here have the rare quality of being not only well-reasoned, but also pragmatic and directly applicable.

This one is somewhat less helpful....
Old 10-24-2005, 01:35 PM

Reduce variance.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:40 PM

if you have AIM and want to we can chat post your name or PM me, I dont have a ton of expeirence at NL but I have played a lot of limit and am working on learning the game. Talking with others who are learning isn't what you asked for, but I know from experience that it helps.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a bad rut, and one of you guys has to talk me out of it. ...
Then I took a shot at $50s and went on some weird kind of long-term tilt, doing just plain dumb, undisciplined stuff, back through the $25s and all the way down to $300 in the account. You know -- "call his raise anyway, see what he has, damn he had it", etc.

I have the grey matter to beat the game, but I often lack the patience. My day job earns me a comfortable six figures, so it's hard to take the dollars seriously at $25NL, which is definitely part of my problem. But I just can't buy the "move up now, you'll take the game more seriously" line, for obvious reasons (i.e., what if, in fact, I SUCK?). The day job is also hard work, and I have a family to support, so time is limited....

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you've already identified some things you need to work on. If you can't take 25NL seriously, then you're definitely not playing with scared money (that should help you win). If you can't consistently beat 25NL, moving up to 50 or 100NL won't make things easier. It sounds like you have a problem with patience. Don't expect every session to be a winning one. All you can do is make the best decisions. Remember that even if you do make the correct decisions, you are not always going to win money. Forgot about money lost. Make the correct decisions and everything else will work itself out.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 PM

How many tables do/can you play?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:01 PM

I've been 4-tabling lately, up from 3-tabling. I get too bored playing a single table. subzero is right, patience is definitely at the core of this....
Old 10-24-2005, 02:02 PM

I'm currently building a roll myself to play at the $25 NL level. I've been bonuswhoring to speed up the process, but I've been coming out positive at every site I've played. (3 boss sites, Bet365)

If anyone else is interested, I'd also like to have chats/discussions with anyone regarding the game. I'd like to think I'm decent, but I know I definitely have a lot to learn.

Hit me up, AIM: DDellaRocco
Old 10-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Do you have pokertracker? If not, get it now. Its about $50 and is more than worth the money. As well as getting stats on your opponents you gain the ability to easily review your play and to look where the leaks are.