Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Back to basics: HU with a crappy pair

No notes and obviously just posted, so no reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

<font color="blue">Dumb time to defend? I expected the blinds to be loose at a 1/2 table and expected at least one overlimp. Even in the off chance that they both fold, I'm still no worse than 4.5:1.</font>

Flop: (5.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

<font color=" blue">Dumb time to fight back? Does anyone call and raise a low turn? Or just dump it?</font>

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 thinks for a long time and bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB
Old 09-06-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Back to basics: HU with a crappy pair

Preflop I like unless someone convinces me otherwise. We're usually getting ~6-1 I'd guess. Only thing that would deter me from calling is the fact we're not closing the action preflop and if it ends up multiway which we probably want we won't be closing the action if we pick up a marginal draw.

Postflop I peel the flop and fold UI if bet into on the turn, bet if he checks depending on the card.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:49 PM

I think the preflop call is fine.

I'm not sure about the flop raise. One good thing about it is that maybe there's some chance of getting MP3 to fold a better hand like 99. Also, you are a (slight) favorite over hands like AQ and AJ at this point. Anyway, I'd probably just call, but the raise does have potential benefits.

The turn card is a pretty crappy one. I think folding to the donk-bet is probably best.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM

So we bluff raise an unknown on a two overcard flop after he's lead into us after an already suspect preflop semi-cold call? That's the line here?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I'd probably just call, but the raise does have potential benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you do if you call and he bets a blank turn?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So we bluff raise an unknown on a two overcard flop after he's lead into us after an already suspect preflop semi-cold call? That's the line here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I was value-raising a typical 1/2er with a pair HU after he continuation-bets a blind steal. But semantics gets us nowhere. What line would you take?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 AM

Preflop call seems fine
Dont like the flop raise. To likely to have hit MP3.
I would wate for the turn and muck unimproved.
Knoss
Old 09-07-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I'd probably just call, but the raise does have potential benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you do if you call and he bets a blank turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably call again.

This is based on the idea that (1) if MP3 has AJ/AQ or even Ax/QJ, there's a good chance he's firing with it again, and (2) I could still improve.

If (1) isn't so likely at 1/2, then my plan of calling down unimproved so long as the board doesn't start looking worse begins to look more dubious. (I haven't played 1/2 full in months and am not sure what to expect from an unknown at that limit. At 3/6, though, I would probably call down on turn and river blanks, while expecting to lose if MP3 actually bet the river.)
Old 09-07-2005, 02:45 AM

id probably just call on the flop, and fold UI.
But, im ok with the raise too. I think you have to fold the turn (like you did) though.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:47 AM

I like to make this play against a loose/aggressive passive. Maybe not on this particular board, but if that T was changed into, say, a 5, I raise the flop. Then, on the turn if he bets, I fold. If he checks, I bet, and fold to a check-raise.

But, I wouldn't make this move without any reads. Only if he is a loose raiser that doesn't like to be played back at, and prides himself on "big laydowns."