Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Party 600NL 6max, bottom set turn decision

Party 600NL (6max)

MP (865) seems solid
CO (1125) seems like a loose calling station
Button (360) unsure so far
Hero (660)

Hero is BB w/ 2 :heart: 2 :club:

UTG folds, MP minraises to 12, Cutoff calls 12, Button calls 12, SB folds, and Hero calls 6

FLOP: Q :heart: J :heart: 2 :spade: ($51)

Hero leads for $50 and gets called in all three places

TURN: 7 :club: ($251)

Hero has 600ish behind, comments appreciated

I put considerable thought into this hand as it was developing, and I’d like to see if my thinking followed along with what you may be thinking.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Party 600NL 6max, bottom set turn decision

Id bet 250 and hope that someone with QJ goes all-in.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:49 PM

I don't typically play this high so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I think you have to near-pot it again because of the obvious draws that are out. You need to start folding some of these people out...as long as that first guy calls, the other people are pretty much getting odds to call on their draws as well, assuming it's straight/flush draws. I'd be praying that someone raised my 250...I think you are ahead the majority of the time, although another set might be possible judging from all the calling on the flop.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM

I dont think another set is a possibility with these players, unless it just came with the 7. JJ QQ would have been more aggressive pre-flop. However as mentioned the board is drawy with the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Action to me on the turn: I bet 300 into the 250 pot.
MP- folds
Cutoff- calls
Button- calls (he is now all in)

River: ($1150) J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero has 300 left and the action.. your move?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:08 PM

I'd push. If he has QJ he would bet and you would have to call anyway. But by betting you force him to call with a hand like AQ that he may have checked with. Checking does not give him the chance to bluff with a busted draw because there is a side pot.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM

you push, you aren't folding for $300 into a $1200 pot. If they had QJ and just sucked out, then so be it. Don't want this to get checked behind because unless they were still drawing at that flush, they aren't folding for $300 either and will call you with a worse hand than your set.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:14 PM

In hindsight I should've pushed. In the moment I just couldn't see him with a jack and wanted value. I bet 175 hoping he might sense weakness. He of course just called.
MP shows Q 8 off, huh? I win side pot
Button shows K 10 no hearts, I win main pot as well.

I posted this mainly to see about the turn decision with so many callers, seems my thinking was similar to some other posters.
Thanks for the replies
Old 07-28-2005, 05:29 PM

On the turn, you can try for a check-raise allin, or you can just pot it.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:55 PM

I agree - the question here on the turn is whether to CR or not.

If you think the solid player to your right has a decent hand, he will no way check there w/ an AQ type hand and could bet and put the other two players in the middle which you can then CR all-in.

The risk of this play is the dreaded free card.

Other than that, I think you have to bet pot or a little over pot on the turn here because of the probable multiple draws against you and your stack size (don't give correct implied odds if you have to call the river). But if you feel strongly solid player will bet and put people in the middle, a CR is a nice play here - espcially since it might pot-commit some top pair type hands and even draws (if multiple people call). Remember to give opponents the opportunity to make large mistakes against your hand on the turn...
Old 07-29-2005, 12:36 PM

This is one of the rare cases where I'd favor a CR all in on the turn. With 3 players behind you, it's highly probable that someone will bet so you're risk of giving a free card here is minimal and the stack sizes are ideal to push all in, you can trap the draws into calling due to pot odds if the solid player to your left bets anywhere near the pot. Leading out is ok too since you mention the late position players are prone to drawing but leading out again will likely get MP to fold a AQ or KQ type hand here where if you check, he might very well bet those hands, drawing dead vs your hand, I think the CR is likely a higher +EV play here.