Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Reading Material?

I don't play stud very much. In fact, the only reason I have ever played is because I entered a freeroll tournament by accident. I like the game but have no idea what I am doing half the time. The only book I've seen is 7 card stud for advanced players and I don't think this is where I should start. Any recommended books for beginers?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Reading Material?

I hate recommending anything for stud besides 7csfap's and Chip Reeses section in the original Super System. Since you said you'd rather not start off with the first, try the latter. Super System is an easier read IMO. Or if you want to start really basic go with Roy Wests book " 7 card stud, 42 lessons". I just dont rate it highly because of a few things I disagree with him on. But for someone starting out its not bad and will teach you to play tight and how to beat a low/med-limit game.

Mike Emery
Old 11-23-2005, 08:06 PM

If you've studied other games, I see no reason not to jump right into 7CS4AP. It is the only stud book I recommend, although Chip's section in Super/System is excellent.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any recommended books for beginers?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you’re interested in seven-card stud, stud/8, and razz – I enjoyed the book by Max Stern, Tom McEvoy, and Linda Johnson. It’s a good introduction to those games.

I hate to admit that I haven’t yet read Ashley Adams’ book, but I understand it’s a good introduction to seven-card stud. I hope others will comment on this.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've studied other games, I see no reason not to jump right into 7CS4AP. It is the only stud book I recommend, although Chip's section in Super/System is excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed ... you'll feel a little lost at first, but play some low limit, read a few posts here, and things will start to make sense (well ... not the play at low-limit)
Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ashley Adams’ book ... a good introduction to seven-card stud. I hope others will comment on this

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started playing 7 card stud online at the lowest possible stakes, mostly becuase I am getting bored with Texas Hold'em. I went to Chip Reese's SuperSystem chapter first, which I found to be excellent and helpful. However, I quickly found out that not all of his advice applies well to the loose, low-limit, 8-handed games that I have been playing. For example, Chip recommends an immediate raise with small pairs. Yet, I have so far discovered that, at the limits I have been playing, such a move rarely limits the field. I suspect that the tactic may even have the opposite effect, by building the pot and making draws more playble. Once I started slowing down on small pairs, I have had success, primarily following Chip's other suggestions.

As to the Adams book, I started reading it at a Barnes & Noble two nights ago. It's very readable, but it's a little basic -- Sklansky fanatics like me might find it to be dumbed-down. Good price at $15. The writer, who credits this forum, certainly knows the game.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:58 PM

Are you sure Chip Reese recommends always raising with any small pair? You might be thinking of where he recommends always raising on 3rd street when you have the highest upcard and a small buried pair. But it's true that this is probably only good advice for reasonably tight games. I've only looked over the section a couple times at Borders, though.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:58 PM

I've only read about half of it, but I'm not crazy about Adams' book. Also, I've been on 2+2 since the late 1990s, and I don't remember him ever posting here. I do believe that he posts on RGP, however.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only read about half of it, but I'm not crazy about Adams' book. Also, I've been on 2+2 since the late 1990s, and I don't remember him ever posting here. I do believe that he posts on RGP, however.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you, Andy and ThreeAces, for your comments. Andy, I don’t recall Ashley’s posting here, either. As you said, he frequently posted on RGP. I certainly don’t doubt that he used 2+2 as a resource, though.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:56 AM

I've only been playing stud seriously for the last month or so. I've only read Chip's Super system chapter and Roy West's book so far, but these two have been enough to get playing winning 2/4 online for the last month or so. I was not very sucessful playing limit lower than 2/4 because I can't get anyone to fold. I don't think that my play is particularly great, but I at least I'm winning. West's book basically taught me to play tight, starting hands, etc. My plan is to read 7CSAP soon - I asked for a copy for xmas from my wife. The point is that you can win at low limits having read West's book and get to the more complex stuff later on. That is my plan anyway.