Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Fold Equity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so in addition to possibly winning the hand by hitting your draw, you increase your chances to win by the possibility of them folding as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's the entire reason why the board advocates pushing strong draws hard, such as OESFD, Pair+draw, Gutshot+flush, etc....you can win 2 ways...not just one...although your chances of making a hand with all of the above are pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you have one of these hands you probably have the pot equity advantage at the moment, correct? But what if your opponent pushes all in first, he now has the FE or no? Then with his all-in do you use pot/implied odds to make the decision on whether to call or not?

Is FE like what Harrington mentioned in HOH2, I think he called it "first in vigorish" or something like that? (I can't remember exactly).
Old 11-09-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's the entire reason why the board advocates pushing strong draws hard, such as OESFD, Pair+draw, Gutshot+flush, etc....you can win 2 ways...not just one...although your chances of making a hand with all of the above are pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you have one of these hands you probably have the pot equity advantage at the moment, correct? But what if your opponent pushes all in first, he now has the FE or no? Then with his all-in do you use pot/implied odds to make the decision on whether to call or not?

Is FE like what Harrington mentioned in HOH2, I think he called it "first in vigorish" or something like that? (I can't remember exactly).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah first in vigorish is the exact same thing as fold equity....very simple actually. If you bet, he has to call/raise/fold...you can win the hand 1 out of 3 of those ways without having the best hand...he folds.

With the drawing hands facing an all in, you simply decide what you think they have and apply the odds...obviously you have no fold equity against someone that is all in.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Grunch's excellent Fold Equity article