Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Simon Trumper\'s reply on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
Why does anybody need 5 minutes to make a decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

No one ever takes ten minutes to make a decision and a five minute decision is so rare as to be non-existent. I've never really seen anybody take five minutes to make a decision, but at the poker table seconds seem like minutes.

I've had the clock called on me for taking 30 seconds, and this was when I had an important decision to make. But take note that 99% of the time my decision was to call or fold--not raise.

I've seen players take it real personal when they have the clock put on em and then they start putting the clock on people, and back and forth, but so what? It happens. But it doesn't happen every hand, people get over it, and the game usually goes back to normal.

Sometimes, playing no-limit, you actually need a minute or two to let the gravity of the situation sink in. And by a minute or two I actually mean 30-60 seconds, because like I said before 60 seconds can seem like an eternity for the player involved and the other players at the table.

I've put the clock on people lots of times, especially those who take inordinate amounts of time to fold (ex. Devilfish). What they're doing gets to be kind of ridiculous, and everybody knows what they're doing, and some people just get tired of it and "put the clock on em."

I didn't witness this particular event, but I would guess that time gets stretched under the pressure of the situation and things can become exaggerated. Still and all, if someone took two minutes to raise me with the nuts and then slow rolled me when I called I would get damn pissed off about it. But that's just me--I'm human.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 PM

They need clocks on the tables to stop this. Allow the dealer to kill the player's hand. Use the nine ball rule. Every player is allowed to ask for a time extension once every two levels. They should only use the time extension when their tournament life is in danger. Pass out time chips to the players. No time chip; no time extension.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 AM

Hahaha it's hilarious when pros get completely outplayed and then come up with something ridiculously stupid to take attention away from how badly they played the hand. Barry's a joke. Maybe he'll have to adjust his "player analysis" on himself now. His "Omaha" rating might have to drop from 10/10 to 9.98/10
Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this kind of thing goes on, what will occur is that players will have the clock called on them as soon as it is their action. Effectively there will be a one-minute time limit on all decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This is the kind of impact people seem to be blind to when defending this play. Imagine what fun it would be to have to call the clock instantly on everyone all the time, just in case. I'm sure the already beleaguered floor staff would enjoy it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]Help me! I can't keep from sliding! Ahhh!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just do what I do, and be prepared to call clock pretty quickly, both as a jopke and also when it's required.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this word JOPKE mean?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:19 AM

Jonathan,

i refer you to paulp's blog.

Extempore

donkeys alwasy draw.

respectfully,
temp
Old 07-08-2005, 10:49 AM

The problem is that use of this sort of move wrecks the game for everyone because if either people start to do it with any regularlity or start using the obvious counter measure of calling a clock or doing it yourself it wrecks the game. Do you like the prospect of playing only 1/3 of the # hands you otherwise would per level? Poker becomes a idiotic PokerSuperstars II all in fest that way because you're not gettting the opportunity to make headway before the blinds increase. If you call a clock on someone who does this every time, the floor staff is completely wrecked, all they do is run from table to table monitoring clocks and there aren't usually enough to do that and it's stupid anyway.

If I sit at the table with some idiot who does this, I'll call a clock on them every single action they take which is a total drag. I don't really have a choice, their behaviour is disrupting my ability to play the game so in return I owe them no courtesy whatsoever and frankly in a private side game where I have some say as to who is involved, an ass like this isn't welcome, just like a known angle shooter.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If I sit at the table with some idiot who does this, I'll call a clock on them every single action they take which is a total drag. I don't really have a choice, their behaviour is disrupting my ability to play the game so in return I owe them no courtesy whatsoever and frankly in a private side game where I have some say as to who is involved, an ass like this isn't welcome, just like a known angle shooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how they are "disrupting your ability to play the game" any more than if they are taking two minutes to make a decision with the non-nuts there.

People are talking about this like every other hand features somebody with the nuts on the river, and that everybody is going to spend two minutes to draw in a final bet. This is silly.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 AM

How dumb is this? Do you think the only time he takes this long of a time for a decision is when he has the nuts? There are damn good reasons why it isn't considered acceptable to do this with the nuts. The unwritten code is that you only take a long time deciding when you have an actual decision and Barry didn't call out of traditional courtesy, a mistake I doubt anyone who's read about this event will ever extend to Trumper again. If people regularly take advantage of this courtesy chip leaders will stall every decision because that's in their favor to do so because a higher blind stucture will benefit him or in a media covered event, some drip like Helmuth playing for TV time is wasting everyone elses time. As a poker player like anyone else, time is $, the ass doing this is costing other people $. The obvious counter measure to this kind of crap is to call a clock on him every single action but that wrecks the floorperson's ability to do their job and most tournaments don't have that kind of floor presence.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02 PM

There is no was Trumper would have got any more chips raising straight away, it was a good play and i dont see what the problem is. How would you suggest Trumper got more money out of this pot on the river then???

If he took more then 3 or 4 minutes then i agree that would be excessive but 2-3 minutes is fine and BG is just bitter that he got outplayed on this hand