Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Default safe to slowplay?

My friend and I had a disagreement on this hand. It is a $100 MTT on PP. Third hand of the tournament. My friend thinks that in early tournament play, players tend to play worse starting hands and try to hit flops, double up, etc. I don't disagree with him as I love playing less than average hands to try and double up early in a tournament. What we disagree on is whether or not this flop can be slowplayed.

I believe that with my position and the coordination (or lack thereof) of the flop, I should check the flop and allow a free card. It's hard to imagine my opponents drawing to any more than 4 outs. My friend believes I should've fired either a pot sized bet or a weak bet to induce a raise from either SB or MP2. He thinks there due to the lack of preflop requirements early on in a tournament, there will be hands out there that can draw out on you even if you don't see it.

Thoughts and comments appreciated as always.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP2 (t1000)
Hero (t975)
SB (t985)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, SB calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t45.

Flop: (t192.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: safe to slowplay?

Yeah, man check it down!!!! True, you're giving a free draw to Ace Four, but who cares!!! No one is going to call a bet on this flop.

CSC
Old 06-19-2005, 09:47 PM

Hiya CSC, how's it been? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 10:02 PM

It depends on the quality of opposition IMO. If the 2 players are very good ... Id probobly make a big oversized bet here, making it look like Im trying to steal the pot after they both check. If they arent good players, Ill either check it or make a small bet.