Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Why do pros play with pros?

Just a little something I've been wondering about for a while now.

I remember reading an article in "Card Player" magazine about the biggest pot the particular author ever lost. I believe it was in the realm of $100,000 or some outrageous amount like that. Anyway, what really struck me is the list of players at the table. I wish I had the article here but I just remember that everyone of them was a well known poker player. I remember Chip Reese and Doyle Brunson(Doyle won the pot BTW) but don't remember the others with certainty. This was a ring game mind you. My question is,"Why do these players play with each other?" Is their skill level that much different? If so, shouldn't the least skilled players be skilled enough to know their outclassed and not play? If they are all equal, won't the game be negative for everyone taking into account the rake? Is it an ego thing at that point? Can they get no action? If they can't, wouldn't they be better off merely waiting for a game with dead money or simply playing tournaments? Anyway, I've pondered this for the last few years and perhaps some of you seasoned guys can answer this one for me.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Why do pros play with pros?

they play because nobody else plays that limit frequently... they mostly trade money back and forth i imagine and when a rich tourist comes along they bleed him dry.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they play because nobody else plays that limit frequently... they mostly trade money back and forth i imagine and when a rich tourist comes along they bleed him dry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good Point. Sort of, keep in the "Family," until,...
Old 10-14-2004, 04:02 PM

I think the article may have written by Daniel Negranu about the biggest pot that he had ever lost...
Old 10-15-2004, 01:56 PM

Not to be sarcastic, but how do you think they got that good? And very few places play the limits where the SB is equal to my annual salary.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:04 AM

There's another reason, too: it's actually much more difficult in a lot of ways for a very good player to play against a weak or novice player, because it's can be impossible to put them on a hand or predict their behavior. It's very common for an inexperienced player to make a stupid bet or call against a pro and then get away with it on a miracle card. The pro, of course, was thinking something like, "There's no way this guy calls an all-in reraise if all he has is the inside straight draw."

Notice also how many of the big-name pros get busted out in the early rounds of big tournaments. It's no surprise that for the last three years in a row, the main event at the WSOP has been won by someone that nobody had previously ever heard of. Nor is it a shocker that many other no-names were the winners of the various other WSOP events. Some poker pundits are saying that at this point, it's going to be very hard for any of the big-name players to win the WSOP main event ever again.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's another reason, too: it's actually much more difficult in a lot of ways for a very good player to play against a weak or novice player, because it's can be impossible to put them on a hand or predict their behavior. It's very common for an inexperienced player to make a stupid bet or call against a pro and then get away with it on a miracle card. The pro, of course, was thinking something like, "There's no way this guy calls an all-in reraise if all he has is the inside straight draw."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true. But for every time the novice wins he looses his entire stack ten times to the pro.

I don't know why anyone insists on thinking this way. It's clear that any pro can, and will, take almost all dough from a clueless novice. Sure, it hurts when the novice draws out, but he draws out so rarely that the pro will make HUGE profits.

I think the real reason they mostly play each other is that there are so few fish at their level, but those fishes make it more than worth their time. They sit there shuffling chips back and forth waiting for the live one to sit down. And when he sits down he's going to be bled dry so fast it makes his head spin.

They play each other so that when a fish comes there is a game ready and waiting. If two fishes show up at the same time they'll probably start salivating.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's another reason, too: it's actually much more difficult in a lot of ways for a very good player to play against a weak or novice player, because it's can be impossible to put them on a hand or predict their behavior. It's very common for an inexperienced player to make a stupid bet or call against a pro and then get away with it on a miracle card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally absurd.

Jimbo
Old 10-17-2004, 11:19 PM

Because some pros are better than others.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 10-19-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because some pros are better than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

*ding* *ding* *ding*

We have a winner!
Even the slightest advantage at the level they play at is huge. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]