Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

Getting stiffed sucks, but what kind of ghetto-ass restaurant do you work at where 7 cowboys can eat sirloins and shrimp and rack up a bill that barely crosses triple digits? Are you a waiter at Ponderosa or something?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:17 AM

Default jesus christ

hasn't this thread died already?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My only problem with tipping is that it's based on percentage, not amount served/work done. Why should you have to tip more because the prices were higher? It doesn't take any more work for the server if the bill is $300 instead of $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does! Not always. We can be talking about a 30 dollar bottle of wine and a 300 dollar bottle of win. But usually a higher bill means that the server did more work.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you are comparing bills at the same restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, some restaurants are more expensive than others?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My only problem with tipping is that it's based on percentage, not amount served/work done. Why should you have to tip more because the prices were higher? It doesn't take any more work for the server if the bill is $300 instead of $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it does! Not always. We can be talking about a 30 dollar bottle of wine and a 300 dollar bottle of win. But usually a higher bill means that the server did more work.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you are comparing bills at the same restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, some restaurants are more expensive than others?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then, lets say you and a friend go to a lower end restaurant and you both order ribs and a beer. Tab comes out to about 40 we'll say. Next day you go to a fine dining restaurant and order a beer and ribs. This time the tab comes out to 80 dollars. You think it's ok to tip the same at both restaurants?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: I understand now!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fine. If you still consider it your business (which it's not), I pay taxes on all of my income.

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

That information makes me neither happy nor sad.

I am, however, quite surprised. I have never even heard of a server or bartender reporting all their tips.

Do any of your server friends report 100% of their tips? Or are you the only one you know of?

Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

im starting to wonder if this is even a real person. first he claims to work at a large chain establishment that bans customers for not tipping. lol. then he claims he pays taxes on every dollar he is tipped. i have known a ton of service personnel, and not one has claimed every single dollar. this dudes whole story smells like BS, and thats why hes catching this much flack.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: you\'re whacked

kill yourself.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, tipping is all about refills. If you leave me with an empty glass of beer or coke for a long time, youre not likely to get a good tip from me. Maybe you didnt bring them another Budweiser quick enough, or perhaps they were pissed off that Applebee's didnt have PBR on tap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Refills and napkins. WTF is it with restaurants giving you one napkin with the strength of a kleenex these days? A napkin especially is something I want quickly. Not after you go talk to your little friends or something. I needed it perhaps because you didn't bring adequate napkins in the first place, but more importantly, because if my hands are messy, what am I supposed to do, lick them like a bear and then hold them up in the air for half an hour until you get back?

And if I want a refill, how long do you really think I'll enjoy being thirsty?

Anyone can understand that nothing can be done so instantaneously as to violate the laws of space and time, but what's a real pisser is if the server just doesn't seem to give a damn and leaves you hanging. Especially if their station with what you need is right close by and it's a 20 or 30 second matter for them to attend to. I can't tell you how many times I have had to get up and chase after napkins and a refill, and sometimes not just once, but repeatedly. And sometimes after making repeated requests.

WTF? No waitperson would like to get the terrible service I routinely see. But so many of them seem to be astoundingly oblivious to it when they're the one's doing the service.

P.S. -- when I ask for more napkins, don't bring me one goddamn napkin. Bring me at least a couple. And when you give me a refill, don't fill the glass halfway. Watch what the fyck you're doing.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the point is, there's little to no doubt that you cheat on your taxes by underreporting your tips. and then you are coming here complaining that you got stiffed one time by a bunch of cowboys.

hmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheat on my taxes? That's a pretty damn serious accusation, is it not? Come up with some proof as to how/why/when I'd do such a thing, and then we can discuss why you're an idiot for running your mouth.

[ QUOTE ]
das, just stop posting. we have heard what you have to say and we will continue to BEAT YOU DOWN

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. You guys have people on the internet on your side. I have people I know personally (read: "in real life") that have been in the service industry for years literally laughing their asses off at your replies.

Say what you want, you're not "BEATING ME DOWN," as I've got real-life people backing me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my assumption no one in this thread was a bot.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have people I know personally (read: "in real life") that have been in the service industry for years ...

[/ QUOTE ]

geniuses like yourself no doubt
Old 10-17-2005, 11:53 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

'every single dollar', clark? every $1 bet over the name of an actor, sale of a dvd to a friend, that sort of thing?