Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: What has been your biggest mistake in life so far?

bump
Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 AM

Marrying my first wife was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Marrying my second choice was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 AM

Too many to list. Peachy has taken a good thread and fkking ruined it.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:33 AM

1. Not taking Poker as seriously as I could when I was in University (before the poker "boom"). If I had found 2+2 or similar when I started playing, it would likely be my proffession today (as it stands, I don't play nearly enough to become really good).

2. Becoming an OOT addict - while it keeps me well away from doing my job (primary concern) - it also keeps me away from spending nearly enough time in the strategy forums.

Sorry to mention Poker in OOT - but it relates directly to the question at hand.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nothing in life is ever a mistake...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no point in arguing over this. Peachy just uses a different (incorrect) definition for the word mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I agree with Peachy, as far as a life philosophy goes. I realize not many people will agree, but this just happens to be the way I look at things.

ElSapo
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no point in arguing over this. Peachy just uses a different (incorrect) definition for the word mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I agree with Peachy, as far as a life philosophy goes. I realize not many people will agree, but this just happens to be the way I look at things.

ElSapo

[/ QUOTE ]

So you agree with the definition for the word "mistake" that peachy made up?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ElSapo

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this makes no more sense than saying that you have never seen anyone who was tall, right? Either way you are simply changing the correct definition of a word to make it meaningless.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you agree with the definition for the word "mistake" that peachy made up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going back to look at the definition you meant - I scanned through the thread and responded to one of the earlier posts.

Questions like this are obviously open to interpretation because they're reason for someone to reflect on their own life. So you can say a mistake is an error, like choosing A instead of B on a test, or you can use a broader definition in terms of life decisions, which was my take on the initial post.

Either way, though... I guess my logic, which I realize you weren't asking about, goes thus: I woke up this morning, happy with where I was and what I was doing. In my past, I've chosen A when it should have been B; I've gone left when it should have been right; but all those summed up to bring me here, typing this, and that's a pretty good spot.

So I don't regret anything I've done, because I see it all as a summation of who I am. And I wouldn't change anything I've done, not even the wrong SAT questions or the bigger mistakes I've made. Had you asked me at the time, I would have had a different answer, but hindsight comes pretty quickly sometimes.

So I don't know what Peachy chose to use as the "definition" you're referring to. Perhaps he/she said something about nuking small countries and crapping on the poor - in which case, no, I'd probably disagree with that. But I'd prefer not to get into a semantic argument.

In any case, I don't believe in viewing things in life as mistakes. Take that for what you will, or feel free to ignore it. It is, after all, only my opinion on my life.

ElSapo
Old 08-16-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my past, I've chosen A when it should have been B; I've gone left when it should have been right; but all those summed up to bring me here, typing this, and that's a pretty good spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
As much as I hate using pokerisms outside of the game: don't be so results-oriented. Seriously, this is like saying, "I spent 20 years of my life toiling at a job I hated with a vicious shrew of a wife that tried to kill me every day... but I'm ok now, so its all good!"

Just because you're not a crack addict or something doesn't mean that you've never made a mistake, just that you never made that particular mistake.

You and peachy are just a couple of neohippies.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:20 PM

Nice post. I don't necessarily agree with it, but nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I hate using pokerisms outside of the game: don't be so results-oriented. Seriously, this is like saying, "I spent 20 years of my life toiling at a job I hated with a vicious shrew of a wife that tried to kill me every day... but I'm ok now, so its all good!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if this is right. On the other hand, the admonition not to be results oriented in poker is because we will face the same situations time and time again. In life, it's not so black and white. My shrew wife and crack addiction you refer to will, presumably, not be coming back. And if they do come back, it will be within another set of circumstances.

[ QUOTE ]
You and peachy are just a couple of neohippies.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me, no question about it.