Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Have I gone completely mad? KJs hand

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $31.25 (All-In)</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (20.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB has 8s Jh (high card, king).
BB has 3h 9c (one pair, nines).
UTG+2 has 4d As (one pair, fours).
Hero has Jc Kc (one pair, kings).
MP2 has Ad Ts (high card, ace).
MP3 has 9h Qd (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 20.25 BB. </font>
Old 10-09-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Have I gone completely mad? KJs hand

You played that hand about as bad as you can play it. I wouldnt have called the raises pre-flop with that, i wouldnt have raised on the flop, i wouldnt have bet on the turn, and i wouldnt have checked on the river. Just got very lucky.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You played that hand about as bad as you can play it. I wouldnt have called the raises pre-flop with that, i wouldnt have raised on the flop, i wouldnt have bet on the turn, and i wouldnt have checked on the river. Just got very lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't call the raise? Six people called in front of the hero and he's getting 15:1 to put in another bet. This is an easy call. The rest of the hand looks pretty silly.

SpaceAce
Old 10-10-2004, 01:55 AM

I'm just a low limit fish, but I'm confused about the flop raise, given that you only have three weak draws (overcards, backdoor str8, backdoor flush) as well as what is likely a dominating hand to your immediate left.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as well as what is likely a dominating hand to your immediate left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he think he's getting AK to fold or something...
Old 10-10-2004, 10:49 AM

What a fantastic game you are in. Look at the crap they are calling with.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Some thoughts

Well, this certainly wasn't my typical line. I'll try to go through my thought processes on each street. Am I thinking fuzzy here?

Preflop: Standard.

Flop: This is the oddest part of the hand. The few that responded hated the flop raise, I think it's close. For one, I'm definitely not folding on this flop unless it's 2 cold to me. When it comes to me for one bet, I can let hands behind me like AK, AJ, and KQ call one bet and still have me dominated. Or, if I raise I may get someone behind me to fold one of those hands (specifically the PF raiser), opening up some outs for yours truly. So, I raised.

On the turn, I pick up what I would approximate to be about a 10 outer. 9 for the flush and we'll just say 1 for the overcards because one or the other (or both) may be tied up. It's checked to me and I decide to bet to try to convince the guy behind me, who I believe has me dominated, that he needs to fold. It doesn't work and I've now got him squarely on AK or possibly 99-TT.

River: Well, there's the King I sort of wanted. The action comes to me and I think it's close between a check and a bet. I decided to check because I wasn't looking to fold and didn't really want to put 2 bets in with my hand. So, that crazy hand now has a bit of explanation.

In big pots like this one, I try to do whatever is necessary to increase my chance of winning the pot. This is the reason for this somewhat oddball play of mine. Have I gone mad?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:01 AM

No you haven't gone completely mad. I like you reasoning. The flop is close. You are rarely playing more than 3 outs and a backdoorflush here, and sometimes less (even the backdoorflush has no guarantee of holding up).

So I believe the flop is very close between folding, calling and raising. Neither alternative would be particularly insane.

Sure looked like a great game though.

lars
Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 AM

Most of it looks like garbage to me. Call the preflop raise, no problem. Raising the flop with a king-high backdoor-nothing, I see no point. The turn and river are just lucky draws. If the river hadn't come, you can't even beat ace-high against five players. And then the king comes and two players check and then you check yourself with only one guy to go. Checking on the end isn't terrible, though.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:20 AM

I'd play pretty much every street opposite of what you did. Raise pre-flop. Depending on the action, either raise or call the flop. Check call the turn, and bet the river.