Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Default AKs versus the flush?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero ???

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Guy just joined the table so I have no read on him. The river gave me 2 pair but it wasn't a very good card either.

-Sent
Old 10-22-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: AKs versus the flush?

You may have just reamed his lower 2 pair and I think you are good here 1 in 9. Make the call.

Buttom may also have been bluffing on the turn when it was heads up when the scare card came. I've seen more ill-advised bluff attempts.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:37 PM

No reads, I call this down. Gets you some info on this player when you're no good.

NT
Old 10-22-2004, 01:12 PM

This is a tough spot but how about betting out and folding to a raise. It would be difficult for a typical player to raise with a small diamond yet many will call with two smaller pair or even just an ace. I would check call only if I thought the guy was a maniac and therefore liable to bet a worse hand or I just want to get a read on what he called and raised turn with.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:33 PM

I think I like this line best. Good first post.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:38 PM

i think betting out and folding to a raise is a bad idea. why not check call and pay the same one bet for a showdown, instead of not having one. a worse hand will most likely not call the bet, prolly raise instead, and force you out. also, a better hand will always raise. induce the bluff and hopefully be good 1 out of 9 times.

-mike
Old 10-22-2004, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a worse hand will most likely not call the bet, prolly raise instead

[/ QUOTE ]

please explain this reasoning. I can't see a worse hand raising this board.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:49 PM

That is why I like the thin value bet. The bored has you protected from getting raised without the nuts or close to it. Unless the oppent is a serious lag in which check calling is probably best. Even if the villian is slowplaying a set on the flop or completed a small flush he will most likely just call the river. If he took a stab at the pot with an ace or a turned two pair oftens times you will get a crying call.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bored has you protected from getting raised without the nuts or close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit, that's the kind of thinking I need in the heat of the moment before I move myself up from 2/4.

If not the spelling.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:43 PM

Wow never thought of betting out, that would be a nice move. I like it.

Actually in the hand I noticed it was a diamond but not the Kd, so I actually folded to his bet here. If I knew it was Kd I would've called it, I have no idea how I missed it and I think I would've been good here now that I think about it.

-Sent