Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: checking this river correct?

if he bet into me, i would raise and call a 3-bet

if he check raises me, i'm going to have to just call.

if he's a known retard (like raising 3-pair when the 3rd pair is on the board), this is getting capped
Old 10-27-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
value betting the river is 1 of the hardest things for me to grasp, I have a weak/tight mentality much of the time and I am terrified by lots of river cards, I am learning to steer away from that mentality and find strength in my hands, I am much better about river bets than I have been in the past but it's part of my game that needs alot of work.

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate your time and consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of how this would be different if there were 4 diamonds on the board instead of 3 aces. Is this really the same thing? You have to be celebrating that river card!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 AM

good point, I didn't look at it like that either.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 AM

*Grunch*

Only the remaining A can beat you here, as far as I can see, so I don't see why you should slow down on the River.
If the SB had had the A he would have being mad after the Turn. Fill your boots.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:46 AM

omg...please tell me I'm reading that board incorrectly.

EDIT: Ok, I double-checked it. You gotta bet this river my man.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:18 AM

I agree with most of the other posters in this thread - your opponent MUST have the case ace to beat you, and can only tie you if he has the other two kings - even if he had a low set and was slowplaying you, you now have him beat and will make him think twice before slowplaying a set. If you are checkraised, so be it - you have the second nuts! The other player, in a nine-handed game, and the way he has just called you down, probably has a K-T or some other draw (perhaps a K-J or K-Q, etc.) and has missed. If he has K-T, you missed a big bet, and he may even call you w/ king high. Don't always be afraid of these situations - you will miss more bets than cost yourself bets when you are beat.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have this notepad file i keep for times like this, let me cut and paste real quick.

I am sorry if what I said sounded demeaning. I did not mean to come off as a jackass or as if I thought your poker-playing ability was poor. Occasionally, I will say something that sounds bad, but I rarely mean to piss people off or make them feel sad. Usually, it is just the way of the internet - things are hard to say. Please be my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously Miles, I dont say this often, if ever, to people on the internet, and really in real life its almost exclusively reserved for my wife and kids, but I love you!

Bet the river. If he has the ace, oh well, he already has saved you a ton of bets along the way with his passive play, so really you are ahead even if you lose.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously Miles, I dont say this often, if ever, to people on the internet, and really in real life its almost exclusively reserved for my wife and kids, but I love you!

[/ QUOTE ]
a/s/l?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:20 PM

I suggest you review the last hundred hands you took to showdown and examine the river play on each.

Count how many times you:
1) missed a value bet
2) correctly checked when beaten
3) correctly induced a bluff by a hand that wouldn't call
4) made a value bet but got raised*

* This doesn't mean the value bet was incorrect. Sometimes people slowplay or suckout on the river but not often. Even when they do it only costs you 1 bet if you were going to check/call anyways.

This should give you a reasonable idea if you're missing a lot of value bets. I know it helps me. You just have to make sure not to be results oriented.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 PM

Bet the river. Call a raise.