Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2004, 09:50 AM

Default A Tommy-esque 15-30 hand

3 limpers to me on the button w/ T9c, I call, as do the blinds. Flop Jc,3c,7c. Sb checks, Mr Jam My Draws(MJMD) bb bets, one caller I raise, and MJMD 3 bets. Heads up for the turn which is a red 7. MJMD bets, I raise, MJMD calls. River Qc. MJMD bets, and I fold. MJMD slams down Ac9d ands says why don't you raise now? I say nothing.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:08 AM

Default My reply

"because my pair of 3's is no good anymore"
Old 03-21-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: A Tommy-esque 15-30 hand

Nice river laydown, but I think that Tommy would have raised PF. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:36 PM

hi jeff
jeff you need to call these. it looks like you are folding a set heads up. this will inspire the others to take shots at you even if they normally play it straight up. you are encouraging a stronger game in other words. the loss of ev here is actually good only perhaps for this hand....maybe. this is so razor thin vs. what the pot is offering, you're talking pennies saved by folding; however, you will lose a pound of ev for the session. got to hang tough against the crowd you take on.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:49 PM

"Nice river laydown, but I think that Tommy would have raised PF."

True.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:03 PM

hi elysium,

I agree with such a tremendous amount of your amazing wordage that it makes me feel bad to jump in here to point out one little thing I disagree with. At least know that I'd disagree with it no matter who said it, which pretty much everyone does it seems.

"this [river fold] will inspire the others to take shots at you even if they normally play it straight up. you are encouraging a stronger game in other words."

The act of playing poker forces opponents to react to us in some way. And then we react to that. And on it goes. It can be no other way.

If I fold "too much" on the river and then I sense later that an opponent has maybe adjusted so I'd better call him this time on the river, then I call. It's all about the here now. Jeff saved a bet on the river. Later, he may or may not have another river decision that may or may not be influenced by the earlier decision, and then the opponent and Jeff will dance that dance. But nothing can be wrong about Jeff folding the losing hand on this 10-9 flush hand. Well, I take that back. He could have folded it wrong by indicating stuff with voice or body. But he didn't. So his play was perfect IMO.

Tommy
Old 03-21-2004, 04:13 PM

Default that\'s why it was only \"esque\" nm

Old 03-21-2004, 04:21 PM

"this will inspire the others to take shots "
I welcome this. Especiallly if my read is as close to 100% as it gets.