Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Winning too much....

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]"You can sheer a sheep many times, but skin it only once" [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever purposely play badly in a game like this, so as not to upset your income stream?
I'm not trying to brag, the competition is ultra-weak, just wondering what you would do....?

[/ QUOTE ]

The home game I've played in for the last 15 years started out at these stakes. Now there are few $100 plus raises in the NL games during the night.

Since I've started playing Poker seriously a year ago, I constantly win, however, I'm not always the 'big winner but my friends began to notice.

My long time friends know I study the game, it's obvious, I talk poker. So, to counter-act their discouragement to play against me; I recently bought them books to read and they've become excited and more willing to play to practice what they have learned.

Glad I'm ahead of their 'learning curve'.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 11-26-2003, 04:29 PM

Go ahead and call me a jerk, but when I sit down at a poker table, I would bust my grandmother up if given the chance. I know of no other way to play poker. I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror if I intentionally "threw" a few hands just to make my friends feel better. Everyone who sits down at a poker table with real money should know what their risk is. No one every forces them to push their chips toward the center, it is always their decision.

Quite frankly, I dislike card games where everyone is there to socialize. Where you get dealt maybe 10 hands an hour and the one guy is so busy telling a story he never realizes the action is on him. I say, "Shut up and deal the freaking cards!" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

If I want to hang out with friends and just socialize, lets go to the bar and watch a game.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:58 PM

I don't think anyone cares if they lose $10 a week to you, so play however you want to play. Usually when I try to beat a home game, oh wait... that has NEVER EVER happened. It's more fun to drink and be a fish. That's what home games are all about. That's why you play .25/.50 or 3/6 or whatever, so that nobody cares.

~D
Old 11-27-2003, 03:52 PM

I guess I play my hands right too, postflop, I just play almost all of them.

~D