Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:06 PM

Default 33 - JJ in SB, ugly board

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

Button (t1590)
Hero (t785)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t785)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t975)
MP3 (t760)
CO (t705)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t50</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t50, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t160) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

River: (t360) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t760
Old 09-23-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: 33 - JJ in SB, ugly board

Very tough situation. First, I probably would not have limped with JJ from the SB. I will, on occasion, limp from earlier pos with JJ just to mix it up (maybe about 15-20 percent of the time); however, from the small, I would probably have raise 5-6X with that hand, to get the marginals to fold.

On the flop, I think your bet was pretty solid, but maybe coulda been better. With the two 9s and the diamonds on the board, I might have overbet the pot a bit, maybe even 100-120, in order to define things. If he raises, I probably let it go, because it is early and plenty of time to recover. If he calls, I proceed with extreme caution, just checking on 4th st. Again, this would be easier if you had raised pre.

On 4th street, although it is a tough call, I probably would fold, thinking that there is a solid chance I am beat here, and wanting to conserve my chips. However, calling the 100 is not a terrible move. I just do not like it because I do not want to waste any more chips.

I cannot see the raise of 100 on the river. I think a check fold is the only way to go with the diamond coming up.

That is a very tough hand. Jacks are tough period, and are even tougher in that situation.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:41 PM

i would raise pf, which should have eliminated most of the scary holdings for this flop (tt and maybe a9 stay in it depending on players) and then played my overs aggressively on the flop and turn

raise to 60 pf
say you get 2 callers
pot is 195
bet out 100, if they call pot is 500
push turn
Old 09-23-2005, 03:27 PM

Outplayyou has it right. The only thing I'd change is that I'd never limp any solid hand in the first three levels, the reason being that these players probably haven't played you before and some will likely never play you again.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Outplayyou has it right. The only thing I'd change is that I'd never limp any solid hand in the first three levels, the reason being that these players probably haven't played you before and some will likely never play you again.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not limping here because i am thinking "oh, i'm so clever, i will trap them" or "i need to do this to to vary my play" - it's because i don't like getting stuck in a spot where i'm first to act 3-way with JJ on a Kxx flop and a big pot early on. by limping i feel i can still win a nice pot with an overpair/set and lose the minimum on an unfavorable flop. i would raise qq+ 100% here.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not limping here because i am thinking "oh, i'm so clever, i will trap them" or "i need to do this to to vary my play" - it's because i don't like getting stuck in a spot where i'm first to act 3-way with JJ on a Kxx flop and a big pot early on. by limping i feel i can still win a nice pot with an overpair/set and lose the minimum on an unfavorable flop. i would raise qq+ 100% here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is suggesting a huge raise preflop, just a little to know where you're at. If the flop comes Kxx you can play it cautiously and still loose minimal if any.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:11 PM

I still think the occasional limp of tt or jj in ep can be effective, because if you flop a set multihanded, your hand is much better disguised. More often than not online if you hit the set, you will double up. But I agree, not as effective as doing it with people you play with often.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:17 PM

I like how you played this hand. It is similar to the 99 hand I posted, except you were able to get it heads up after the flop and I wasn't [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Question on the river. I'm assuming if that kick ass scare card doesn't come on the river you are check/calling a smallish bet? Or are you betting pretty much any river card here?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you played this hand. It is similar to the 99 hand I posted, except you were able to get it heads up after the flop and I wasn't [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Question on the river. I'm assuming if that kick ass scare card doesn't come on the river you are check/calling a smallish bet? Or are you betting pretty much any river card here?

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, i don't know what my plan was on a river brick. and in retrospect, i think i should've just checked the river. i can likely get a free showdown even against a big hand like A9, and i think Tx will check too, which is what i really want. i guess maybe i can squeeze out a little more from Tx with a small bet, but i think i should have checked and called a very small bet given the actual river.

on a blank river, then i like a small blocking bet.