Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Action Image

The last month or so I've been trying to create more of an "action image". I remember a post some time ago about getting 3 bet when you have the nuts, sounds good to me. Basically I'd like to keep the game light, fun, and loose without anyone thinking I'm a serious player. So I've been gambling some more in the right spots, and doing a little more jabber jawing. Anyone have any other sugestions? Thanks.

P.S. I replied to 2 posts today, and wrote 1 myself. This syberian ginseng IS working! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2004, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Action Image

I am a normally tight/agressive/weak player(I will mix it up depending on the table) and because of that I stopped getting alot of action.To counter that I started making and showing, bad bluff attempts(as long as the pot odds were right)to get into the minds of others more(and even tell them what I think they are holding before I do it) and I seem to be breaking more players and getting more action(but still get respect)

I dont think playing looser as a whole is the way to go....but making it look like you are, will get you alot of action.As long as you dont start making bad plays just to get action you win.I like a tight image,it wins me alot of pots i wouldnt normally get....but by throwing in an ocassional bluff show, can still get action.

But what do I know...I'm new at this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2004, 02:26 AM

First, there is some debate over whether an "action image" is better than a "tight image." I posted here several months ago about things I do to generate action, and most of the replies were something to the effect of, "Why wouldn't you want people to fold to you?"

That said... I don't know how old you are. I'm only 23. I find that my young age gives me alot of action. Also, when I want action I try to give off the vibe of "the young guy whose been watching too much WPT." I wear sun-glasses, shuffle chips, etc... I do anything to make people think that I have no idea how to play poker, and I'm just there trying to copy Chris Moneymaker. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:55 PM

Steve Zolutow had an article on this subject in cardplayer.com a few months ago. He showed how you can create a gambling image without sacrificing EV.
Regards,
Al
Old 03-06-2004, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve Zolutow had an article on this subject in cardplayer.com a few months ago. He showed how you can create a gambling image without sacrificing EV.
Regards,
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've got about 3,000 posts on this forum that illustrate the same thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2004, 02:21 PM

Mason Malmuth has several articles about image in his book "Poker Essays". Essentially he states that in a complex game like hold'em or 7-card stud a tight image is preferred. This is partly because often the pots get quite large relative to the size of the bet. The value of one extra bet is much less than the value of winning the entire pot on a bluff.

For more on creating a wild image see the works of Mike Caro. He has written extensively on this.

Paul
Old 03-07-2004, 02:55 PM

Although I guess this is a personal preference thing, I myself prefer a tight image to a loose and reckless one. Given how I play, there isn't much choice I have in the matter, though.

Although I certainly love to have the nuts and get raised, overall I think I'd rather steal a few pots here and there with a tight image--"he must have it."

In my 4-8 game in NYC, when I raise preflop and win a pot without showing (with, say, KQo that missed or TT or whatever good-but-not-great hand I raised with), I often hear someone smugly guess my hand--invariably "kings" or "aces."

This leads me to wonder why they would ever call my raises, but I guess that's a question for another thread, and I'm certainly not complaining.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:40 PM

BOTTOM LINE

if you play to have an "ACTION IMAGE" online, then YOU are the idiot.

in live play this concept has very limited applicability. VERY limited.

I would always rather be considered "tight and solid" than the "action" player. There is simply more value in being considered tight and solid than loose and stupid. If you can't figure out why, then you must be an action player. Any moron can three-bet with the nuts, and only a moron won't be nice in a live game. Online I could care less about my image, but it's still better to be tight than loose if you MUST choose.

al
Old 03-08-2004, 09:26 PM

1. I don't play online.
2. It's called IMAGE for a reason.
3. Who said they wanted to considered "loose and stupid"?
Thanks though
Old 03-09-2004, 12:32 AM

I play tight all the time. I still get action like a monkys ass. Dont even have a clue as to what you guys are talking about, loose action player. I play so dam tight my ass is hurting and still get so much action. (this is online) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]