Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: (22) 99 in SB, early on.

I think the only two plays are to make a conservative value bet on the turn or to check fold. Either one would be fine, and it just depends on your style and instincts. I think the AI move was to agressive into 3 people at that early stage.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:08 PM

If I am going to play hand like this, meaning, agressively, I am going to play it very agressively...IOW, I am doubling up, taking the pot down PF or on a favorable flop such as this, or I am starting up another one. I will raise much bigger preflop, and/or I will over bet the flop looking for a raise.

You played it ver inbetween like you didnt really have your mind made up...kind of "schizo" if you will
Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 PM

haven't read teh whole thread...

i would bet more on the flop. T100 or so. i'm willing to get a-i with my gutshot and the million draws that could be pushing, especially because i block 2 9 outs for 6s (and have redraws if one hits) and also block 6 outs against a hand like 67.

the turn's tough. if you bet, i like the push. a smaller bet will called, and you don't want to see any non-6 river card. although it would be really dumb, i don't rule out some kind of 2 pair / set hand for villains. i think i like a push better that checking.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks schwza. I feel like I played it okay only because the other options aren't that great.

Do you ever raise preflop in spots like this? I saw your JJ hand, similar to this one in many ways and you didn't raise that one, so that's probably my answer.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks schwza. I feel like I played it okay only because the other options aren't that great.

Do you ever raise preflop in spots like this? I saw your JJ hand, similar to this one in many ways and you didn't raise that one, so that's probably my answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, this really is similar to my JJ hand. hadn't even really noticed that. yeah, i like the complete with 99 here. i'd raise lighter in your hand than mine b/c the limpers are LP and the blinds are high, but it's still a complete for me in your hand.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PUKE, this hand made me uncomfortable. I don't like pushing either, but I didn't, and don't, know how else to play it. I felt my hand was too good to just lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but I don't see a pair of nines (overpair or no) as too good to lay down in level 2 of a SNG. It's easy to fall in love with overpairs but it's still just a pair. I don't go all in with a pair when 3 other people are telling me they have something.

I also think raising preflop might have eliminated some of your problems later on. If I'm going to limp with a pp early on, then it's for set value only - I'm not losing a lot of chips if I don't hit my set.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PUKE, this hand made me uncomfortable. I don't like pushing either, but I didn't, and don't, know how else to play it. I felt my hand was too good to just lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but I don't see a pair of nines (overpair or no) as too good to lay down in level 2 of a SNG. It's easy to fall in love with overpairs but it's still just a pair. I don't go all in with a pair when 3 other people are telling me they have something.

I also think raising preflop might have eliminated some of your problems later on. If I'm going to limp with a pp early on, then it's for set value only - I'm not losing a lot of chips if I don't hit my set.

[/ QUOTE ]

how likely is it that someone is slowplaying on an uber-draw board? what is hero behind to on the flop? i'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not that likely.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Forget the turn, I think it\'s the flop that matters in this hand.

The turn card is so nice that I think you have to push though it's a bit scary doing it into 3 callers, what with people neglecting to raise their big hands on drawy boards in the $22s. But you are often ahead, are getting called by many worse hands, and have anywhere from 6 to as many as 12 outs if you're behind.

Preflop is standard, I would never raise here.

I think the flop is the key, and most difficult, street. Your hand may well be best, but even when it is, it's often not ahead by much. And lots of turn cards can ruin it. Since you are out of position and not really sure where you are, I think you want to keep the pot small or end the hand quickly, so as to avoid difficult decisions later in the hand. What you really don't want I think is to go into the turn with chips left and looking at a big, especially a big multiway, pot. Soooo...I think I like checking...if it somehow gets checked around, the pot will be small on the turn and you can either bet out or check/fold depending on the card. If someone bets the flop, you can fold to a lot of action or check-raise all-in, ensuring you won't have any tough decisions to make later.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Forget the turn, I think it\'s the flop that matters in this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
The turn card is so nice that I think you have to push though it's a bit scary doing it into 3 callers, what with people neglecting to raise their big hands on drawy boards in the $22s. But you are often ahead, are getting called by many worse hands, and have anywhere from 6 to as many as 12 outs if you're behind.

Preflop is standard, I would never raise here.

I think the flop is the key, and most difficult, street. Your hand may well be best, but even when it is, it's often not ahead by much. And lots of turn cards can ruin it. Since you are out of position and not really sure where you are, I think you want to keep the pot small or end the hand quickly, so as to avoid difficult decisions later in the hand. What you really don't want I think is to go into the turn with chips left and looking at a big, especially a big multiway, pot. Soooo...I think I like checking...if it somehow gets checked around, the pot will be small on the turn and you can either bet out or check/fold depending on the card. If someone bets the flop, you can fold to a lot of action or check-raise all-in, ensuring you won't have any tough decisions to make later.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where my shtty opinion differs from you all. I think your preflop and post flop decisions should be very directly connected here. IOW, maybe I am being overly simplistic, but I don't want to play even THIS flop heavily when I am OOP and the whole table is in the hand. IF, on the other hand, I feel my hand is BEST PF, I might make a huge raise and pretend I have AA. In the SB I don't want to get too involved unless I am going for broke or I am playing it passively for set value.

My point is, I feel its too late to play this flop aggressively...I have defined my route PF, and even this flop shouldnt change it too much...if I check and I can stand to call one bet with rest folding, Ill raise...otherwise I am gone, its not worth it anymore bc the trouble this coordinated flop can cause me.

So IOW i am either treating this hand like it is AA, or 22...Fact is, its neither, but I like to establish my mood PF, not on a flop bc it has "undercards". Thats trouble.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Forget the turn, I think it\'s the flop that matters in this hand.

I like a flop check. I will CR often, but if there is a lot of action before you, you can lay-down.
Not that big a deal if it gets checked around