Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Difficult flop decision w/ deep stacks

5-10 NL live

4 Limpers (including rock from EP), SB (hero) completes with 5d10d, BB (maniac) checks. (pot = $60)

Flop is 5-5-K rainbow. Hero bets out $50, maniac calls, rock raises to $150, hero calls, maniac reraises to $650 and rock folds.

The rock (25K) is a professional who thinks hero (10K) is capable of leading out with many hands on this flop (he definitely thinks I’m overly loose). Maniac (10K) is not a moron but overplays many hands. He likes making big bluffs when he smells weakness. If I call his flop reraise and check the turn he will almost certainly fire again big on the turn no matter what he has.

What’s the plan for hero?

For those who know the 5-10 foxwoods game, rock is Doug, maniac is Jim (tall middle aged with glasses), and I of course am the hero.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Difficult flop decision w/ deep stacks

My initial response is to just call down. It seems like if you are winning, vilain is going away for any more action, (unless he has something like 52, then maybe he sticks arround). I think it is much more likely villain has something like a decent king, and may continue to fire if you call. If the turn goes check check, maybe bet about 500 on the river unless a king falls.

I just don't see laying this down as a good option against the villain you described, so the best my little brain can come up with is let him bluff off some money when you are ahead. What would really suck is if he has a bigger hand and puts you on a five, and exploits his image for a lot or all of your chips. I am really unfamilliar with situations where the stacks are this deep though.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 AM

Easy fold.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:18 AM

Does Freddy play in this game, or is he still on the 5/5 game? What about Dennis?

As for the hand in question, I'm not sure what else you're looking for with T5d. My question would normally be what does maniac play, J5 or better? But with him in the BB, he can have any 2. He may have a weak K and is assuming you don't even have a K. I'm not sure what to do with stacks this deep, I guess just fold if you think he's gonna bop you on the turn.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]no effing way in am million years this is an easy fold...
Old 05-09-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Freddy play in this game, or is he still on the 5/5 game? What about Dennis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freddy played this weekend. I'm not sure about dennis....dennis mainly plays during the week.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 AM

I vote fold, absent other info about the maniac. You bet. It's not unreasonable for you to have a 5. The maniac calls. The rock raises. What do you and the maniac think he's raising with? What does the maniac think you're calling with? He's in the middle and called once, and has seen all this action, and currently seems profoundly unscared.

Absent some strong, specific reason to do otherwise (e.g., you know him well enough to answer the question "why would he spring to life right now, and not on a later st"), I think you're in a bad spot, where you will likely get tagged for big bets on later sts. And the maniac knows where you're at far better than you know where he's at.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no effing way in am million years this is an easy fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

flawless, what would you have done?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:29 AM

You shouldnt play such trash hands pre flop. But i disagree. Ypu dont call down, either move in or fold. I would move in Maniac probably has KQ-10. He is assuming ur weak. I move all in there against him. Very little could be beating you there only KK and k5 or j-5 and up. I just cant see myself folding there.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldnt play such trash hands pre flop. But i disagree. Ypu dont call down, either move in or fold. I would move in Maniac probably has KQ-10. He is assuming ur weak. I move all in there against him. Very little could be beating you there only KK and k5 or j-5 and up. I just cant see myself folding there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with not playing trash hands like this preflop. You hit a miracle flop and still don't know what to do.

That having been said, moving in here would be atrocious.
I would call and see what he does on the turn.