Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Turning a New Leaf

[ QUOTE ]
people definitely put way too much emphasis on short term statistics. WAY too much. i finally got thru my first 101 215s, with an roi at 23.4% and an itm at 40.6%. does this mean that i should jump up and start 12 tabling them? hell no. it doesnt even mean i can beat them. all it means is i was running well for a day and made some money. does it give me hope? of course it does, but im not gonna write home about it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I know these things, believe me, I know them when I look at my statistics.

Yet.....I *feel* something quite different.

It is important that I get over my dependence on statistics. Several times already tonight I've had a strong itch to go start entering my finishes into a spreadsheet....hoping to find reassurance there.

The spreadsheet will be a crutch to me no longer.

Yugoslav
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what edge to these statistics provide?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...not much.

I know I am a winning player when my BR increases gradually over time.

I keep notes on other players on PS (dont see enough repeatedly to make this worthwhile even).

How can place distribution help you unless you are a rank and file newbie?

Why do I keep stats? Its fun...and self affirming.

Like I said before, I dont need to prove anything to myself or others re: ROI...I just look at the cashier window.

(ahh sh\t...well, Ive got 918 fpps and 1000 in play money, oh well, u get the picture)
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 AM

power too ya then yugo. hope it works out for ya [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 04-06-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people definitely put way too much emphasis on short term statistics. WAY too much. i finally got thru my first 101 215s, with an roi at 23.4% and an itm at 40.6%. does this mean that i should jump up and start 12 tabling them? hell no. it doesnt even mean i can beat them. all it means is i was running well for a day and made some money. does it give me hope? of course it does, but im not gonna write home about it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

at least you recouped the paigow losses...nh, gg
Old 04-06-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

at least you recouped the paigow losses...nh, gg

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean replenish his Pai Gow bankroll?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Who doesn't think the Commerce has seen the last of The Raptor...
Old 04-06-2005, 12:18 AM

dear god dont bring up pai gow. DAMN U USHER!!! bah, i should have played 100-200 like i wanted too.. woulda felt much better about losing 4k there. blah. 3uo
Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 AM

Guys like you and I and most on this forum are very new to SnG's and poker in general. We are not the same players now that we were 6, 3, or even 1 month ago. Stats from those periods are not good indicators of future success and can be disheartening. Since really learning how to play and experiencing a good amount of success I've been destroying my old records about once per quarter. I've destroyed sets of 500 SnGs with 30% ROI and sets of 500 with a 0% ROI happily as I see it as a fresh new start and it has been very good for me mentally. Do whatever keeps you motivated and in the best state of mind, but realize that old stats are pretty meaningless when you are making important improvements early in your playing career.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:23 AM

My name is Mike, and i am a pokerholic. I have been hooked since july, and I an entirely different SNG player now (mad props to 2+2=5) than I was merely one month ago, let alone 9 months ago. I read the books, kept the spreadsheets, played the odds, did all that [censored] arguably to a fault. I find my past poker statistics to be amusing, mainly because I kept good notes on my final hands/downfall. I was awful. Over time, I was happy b/c I was calling with statistical advantages in the quality of the hand, quality pot odds, and good reads - but in untimely situations to justify due to the fact that only 3 people make money. Stats sometimes blinded me to noticing the little nuances I made in my game everyday that give me an edge over the average fish and lead me down the long and grueling path to being great at this game. I just wanna be really, really good; cause i love this [censored]. With that said, I trust my gut as to how I am running more than any statistic you can throw at me. Even EV.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:04 AM

Win stats can be pretty pointless. They don't help you win after all.

But please don't get rid of important data on your opponents like VPIP and showdown percentages and notes and such. Those do help you win.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My solution is to autoload into PT and then at the end of each month (or a longer period, I haven't decided), just autoload them into the AM spreadsheet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just downloaded AM's spreadsheet, and can't figure out how to do this. Could you please explain how you do this?