Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 05:41 AM

Default AA facing huge flop overbet on the 2nd hand

PP 30+3
2nd hand of the tourney so no reads. I have 1000. Blinds 10/15

UTG limps, UTG+3 limps (1150t), MP limps, MP2 limps, Hero with 1000t behind and AsAd in CO raises to 135. SB calls (1000t), UTG+3 calls. Three to the flop

Flop 9s6s5h

SB checks, UTG+3 pushes, Hero..
Old 08-28-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: AA facing huge flop overbet on the 2nd hand

Hero calls. Seriously on the 2nd hand in a 30+3, the range of hands that unknown villian may play this way include any pair, whether pocket pair or paired with the board, any kind of straight draw including a gutshot, a flush draw, a total bluff, and occasionally a hand that has you beats you (but why wouldn't he check-raise?). Against this range, you're a nice favorite. No way do I consider folding for more than .05 seconds.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:13 AM

As much as I hate to do it, I fold here. The str8, flush and possible sets take me off the hand. Yes, there's a very good chance you're ahead but do you risk it all here? Not me.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I hate to do it, I fold here. The str8, flush and possible sets take me off the hand. Yes, there's a very good chance you're ahead but do you risk it all here? Not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The straight is possible but unlikely, as are sets. Why would he push with these hands? He'd have been more likely to bet an amount the flush draw might overpay for.

As for shying away from the semi-bluff flush draw, this is EXACTLY the hand you want to see here (and the one I'd most expect).

call
Old 08-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Hero calls.

I don't see him on a set or two-pair here. His most likely hand is that he paired the board or is on a flush draw. You're ahead here about 95% of the time. Call and hope for red cards.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:34 AM

I totally suspect you're correct Mick. I'm just a big wuss, I fold my AA and we never get to see what he had. Three hands later I make a set of nines and break the same guy
Old 08-28-2005, 08:39 AM

Point taken, lol. I just won't be bullied here, if I win this hand the rest of the table knows that I'll defend what's mine and not be as likely to pull this crap. If I don't win here, I don't have to worry about my table image...

win/win?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:52 AM

I love both these threads we differ on, the other being "AA in sb, bad flop". Both are VERY early and really illustrate the difference in playing styles. I've come to the conclusion that early on I'm not risking all my chips unless I have a really big hand. Typically in a field of say a 1000 players 500 are left after the first break. My goal is to have doubled up in the first hour, anything over that is gravy anything less and I'm firing big time coming into the second hour.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:27 PM

I also would not be surprised to see him play 10s/Js this way early in a tourney - limp PF, call the late position PFR and then fire at any flop where he has an overpair. The pot is already 1/2 his remaining stack, so he just pushes to kill any potential draws - especially if he put you on overcards.

I call here, try to double up early against a donk. If I get shown a set, then I type in NH and register for another one.

ts-
Old 08-28-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love both these threads we differ on, the other being "AA in sb, bad flop". Both are VERY early and really illustrate the difference in playing styles. I've come to the conclusion that early on I'm not risking all my chips unless I have a really big hand. Typically in a field of say a 1000 players 500 are left after the first break. My goal is to have doubled up in the first hour, anything over that is gravy anything less and I'm firing big time coming into the second hour.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you plan on doubling up if you're not willing to make a call when you are ahead of most hands here? How big of an advantage do YOU need to make a call? We've talked here over and over that even the top pros cannot afford to pass up a clearly +EV situation.

With the hero taking the initiative pre-flop, you'd expect a set, straight, or two pair to check-raise. This is more often than not a flush draw, overpair, or pair/straight draw.