Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: How Did Your Poker Career Start Off

[ QUOTE ]
I started out on a heater. Just like you and everyone else on this forum.

Duh.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, though i still suck
Old 08-11-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: How Did Your Poker Career Start Off

I had been playing with friends/coworkers in microlimit home games for a few years before I decided to take the plunge to internet poker in Jan 2003.

I made a deposit to UB and lost it in a couple days. I made another deposit and lost that too. I made a 3rd deposit and lost it. At this point I realized, the online stragy guide I was using might not be so great. I found 2+2, bought some books, made another deposit, went on a heater, and was off and running.

I played low/micros for most of that year without really getting anywhere. I would make some money and blow it playing over my BR. At some point I moved to paradise and would occasionally put some money on Party (remember I started before the WPT so party wasn't the monster it is today, its expolsive growth was just starting) to clear a bonus, but I could never beat all the loose fish there [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and would come back to Paradise. Eventually all the overplaying of my BR caught up with my meager winrate and I lost my tiny BR.

I was frustrated to say the least. The the Initial OIC rolled around. It seemed fun, and I could get a free $150 so I signed up. I did ok at the OIC making it to the 5/10 level before giving up. TGC was running $7K toureny with pretty nice overlays at the time so I started playing those and doing pretty well. One day I fished 2nd for a $1500 win and along with a few other decent finishes decided to take my TGC winnings and give Party another shot since by now, Nov 2003, it was the place to be for the best games.

I made my deposit and started playing 2/4 limit and immediately went on a nice run, allowing me to keep a decent BR for the limit and still make my first 4 digit cashout just in time for Christmas.

Then in January, I got layed off from work. I decided I needed to take the opportunity to go back to school. Since I didn't expect to find a decent job that would allow me to go to class I turned to poker. Played limit all last year and after a frustrating couple months turned to SNG in Feb of this year. I haven't had the sort of success you always here people bragging about on the forums, but I can't really complain as my hourly rate is still higher than it would be at any job I would expect to find around here which is made less impressive by my pathetic work ethic when it comes to playing the hourse I need.

Anywho ... there ya go.