Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 01:43 PM

Default First hand of the day - how many errors?

I just sat down so I had posted my .25 big blind in the HJ.

----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to mwkaufman [T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
2 limps
Villain raises $0.50
1 fold
Hero calls $0.25
3 folds
BB and limpers call

I figured with the pot as big it is, it was worth looking it up for half price. Wrong? Should I fold this offsuit trash?

----- FLOP ----- [9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
3 checks
Villain bets $0.25
Hero raises $0.50
1 fold, 1 call
Villain 3-bets
Hero calls $0.25
1 call

Thoughts on the raise? I've got a very vulnerable top pair and an OESD, so with the preflop raiser continuation betting, I thought a raise is standard?

----- TURN ----- [9s 8c Tc][7c]
Limper donks $0.50
Villain raises $1
Hero calls $1
Limper calls $0.50

Limper comes along, seeming to indicate a flush with his betting pattern, but I'm not going to throw away my made straight with the 4-straight on the board, and a flush draw, and a gutshot straight flush draw. 3-betting is spew right?

----- RIVER ----- [9s 8c Tc 7c][3d]
Limper checks
Villain bets $0.50
Hero calls $0.50

Nothing has changed, just call right?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: First hand of the day - how many errors?

I would probably 3-bet the turn. You have a straight and outs to a flush (including two outs to the absolute nuts). Also, I think you're giving the limper too much credit... he could just as easily have a 6, a J, garbage two pair, or just be an idiot, as opposed to having a made flush on the turn.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 AM

PF call is fine, it's a call you'd make all day in the BB, and this time you've got position to boot.

Flop is good, not raising the flop is a big mistake.

Turn I could go for a raise. He could have a lone 6, or you might be splitting with another J but getting value out of it from the other villain.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:00 AM

i would 3-bet the turn
the way you played it i would raise the river
Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Am I the only one that like the call behind on the turn? I see no reason to 3-bet it since the limper got curious with a bet into a really scary board and gets re-raised by Villain (I put him on an overpair) and we aren't the closing the action. I call behind here to see what the limper do and put him on a hand after that. Now that he just call and checks the non club river, I raise villain.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:49 AM

*grunch*
Preflop - fold; BTY I have stopped posting when I sit down except in CO. I know SSH says go ahead and post so you don't give yourself a "serious player" image when you sit down, but online I don't think most people are even aware that you are waiting for the BB. Posting OOP like this makes it tempting to play trash thereby putting yourself in tough situations instead of other people and if you get stuck in a bad place you immediately start your session with an unecessary spewage that puts you in the hole and in a bad state of mind...

Flop - TP with 3 to a straight and 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s on the board I would classify as a marginal hand. Your oesd is a 1 card draw and if a Q hits to give you the straight I'd worry because people love QJ, AJ, and JJ which could split the pot or worse KJ which would put you on a lower straight. Similarly you bdfd is a one card draw to a J high straight which will again be vulnerable. Call the flop bet and see where you are on the turn...

Turn - Good news: you made your straight and even made the high end. Bad news: limper probably made at least the same straight or worse a flush. Villains raise is either scary or stupid depending on reads. If his clueless he could still be rasing because he had an overpair or something that he fell in love with. If he's more with it (and I think you have to assume he is until proven otherwise) then you can put him on the straight or flush too. Now you have a straight that could split the pot 3 ways or you could be behind to 1 or more flushes and if you happen to make a one card J high flush it likely won't be good. With the made hand just call...

River - call.