Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 06:30 PM

Default limit or no?

hey everyone, I have a question about what type of poker is better for an internet beginner playing 2-3 tables at a time.
I have heard that SSHE is more of a limit book and that is what I am actively studying. I have also heard that limit has higher variance than NL. So what is the proper choice for an unindoctrinated youth ready to spend much more time playing as the Virginia mountains winter looms near?
Right now I am playing strictly NL 9 handed at nano.
I am for the moment doing what I estimate to be well.
Started with a 20.00 br, up to 55 after 3 days, about 8 hrs total. I was up to 65 but lost a big pot. Should I stick with NL ? Switch from 9 handed to 6-max? Go to limit?

I am just confused about the right path through the jungle for my situation.

Many thanks and all my love,

Cambraceres
Old 11-15-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: limit or no?

[ QUOTE ]
hey everyone, I have a question about what type of poker is better for an internet beginner playing 2-3 tables at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! First of all, I can think of no good reason for a beginner to play 2-3 tables at once. If you get bored, then learn not to.

I tried to write some arguments for each at http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/NLHE.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa! First of all, I can think of no good reason for a beginner to play 2-3 tables at once. If you get bored, then learn not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really could not disagree more. Play 2-3 tables, you'll get more experience. If a decision comes up, and your not sure what to do, go back review the hand in poker tracker, post about it. You'll have plenty of time to figure out what to do while you're not playing. If your playing at the nanolimits, then no need to worry.

When you get more experienced, then you may want single table for a while to get used to reading and categorizing opponents, but as a complete beginner at the nano levels, you should be focusing on playing your cards, reading the board, position, and pot odds.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:39 PM

I like limit for beginners because there is more good material out there to learn it than NL.

OnlinePokerCoach
Old 11-16-2005, 12:24 AM

I appreciate your always great responses, but is there a decision of Limit vs NL?
I do always play 2-3 tables online, Before I played one at a time with PaP. I did that for around 20k hands to learn flop evaluation and gain some sort of experience.

Cambraceres
Old 11-16-2005, 01:30 AM

play more hands...see where you are in a month.
tuna
Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but is there a decision of Limit vs NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that this is a bad question; it is a good question. One I certainly asked when I started. The problem is that there is no right answer as to whether one should start with Limit vs NL.

The truth is, there are many viable ways to begin your poker education. I'd guess that most of us sort of checked out different games, and at some point we just picked a game and decided to focus on that.

Personally, I started a year and a half ago playing limit hold'em because I just assumed that it was less complicated than NL. I lost my first deposit. Then I dabbled in some SnGs -first no limit then stud and actually made money for for a while, but didn't really have any direction. Then one day I was in the book store and I picked up SSH. I started reading it. I don't know why I picked up that book, I just did. Because of it, I decided to focus on limit hold'em. I would suggest that you follow that path, but if I did, it would only because its the one that I took and it worked for me. However, I don't doubt that someone else had just as good as a time with NL, or SnGs or Stud.

I don't think it really matters what you pick, just that pick something and throw all your effort into it. So flip a coin or something, but when you do, study your ass off, post and read posts, and play lots of hands. In a few months, if you feel like you want to give the other game a shot, then do it.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 AM

I think it depends on what style of play you prefer. Limit can be a little mechanical. No limit feels more like poker to me - but it can be volatile. Bluffing is not much of a factor in low limit. Sometimes it feels like youre playing fish.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:49 AM

I tell most beginners to start with limit.

The advantage is you don't have to choose a bet size.

But if you're already winning at no-limit then why not build a bankroll with what you're winning at.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I believe I will stick with no limit because of my experience edge with it vs limit.
But I understand how it could be easier not having to choose a bet size, I am still unclear on what size of bet is appropriate in what situation.

What amount of time should I be spending playing vs. reading at this level?

Since I am so new, can I expect my play to continue reaping benefits, or is this most likely a transitory abberation? (beginners luck)

How is the variance of micro? Is it more a matter of game rather than stakes?

Thanks again and all the best,

Cambraceres