Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Addicted To Internet

When I'm on my computer I'm mentally in a different place, in internet world. When my computer is disconnected and I'm in the same room I just feel different, no pull to sit at the computer. When I wake up I often go to the computer first thing, when I get back to my room first thing I do is computer. Then I'll refresh some 2+2 and email compulsively and waste time on AIM.

It occured to me recently that this could be more than me being sloppy and wasteful with my time, it could be closer to a real addiction. Kind of like an alcoholic, I can't just have one drink even though that would be nice, I have to cut it out entirely. Or with the internet, I can't use it a little bit even though that would be nice I have to stop using it entirely because I can't handle it (or I need to accept the consequences, which fortunately aren't as bad as some other addictions).
Old 11-02-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Addicted To Internet

Who here isn't?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm on my computer I'm mentally in a different place, in internet world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this feeling, on my computer I am away from all the other [censored] going on in life.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who here isn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake

He balances internet time and reality and leads a healthy productive life.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:09 PM

I feel the same way. I think sometime soon I may try to go without the internet for an entire week and see what happens.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel the same way. I think sometime soon I may try to go without the internet for an entire week and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with this is that when you return you spend 10 hours reading backpages of OOT.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with this is that when you return you spend 10 hours reading backpages of OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, when i've taken breaks from the internet my experience has been the opposite
Old 11-02-2005, 07:13 PM

I feel this way a lot. I dont have a problem with it, though. When I didnt have internet access for a period of over a year, I didn't find myself in the midst of any kind of "withdrawl"... but when the internet is as close as roll over and click a mouse, its just become a hardwired part of my life.

Voluntarily going a week without the internet?

Better be lots of hot broads to bang.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:15 PM

"When I didnt have internet access for a period of over a year, I didn't find myself in the midst of any kind of "withdrawl""

That's a big point, when anyone stops using the internet they don't really miss it. It would be impossible to use the internet less and look back on your life in a few years and regret that decision. It is just a matter of willpower, do any of us have the willpower to make the obvious best decision for our lives?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:17 PM

The simplest answer is to get a life that's so busy you dont have time to waste on the internet. You're not gonna have 3 girls calling you, a buncha buddies that wanna go out and get smashed, a guitar lesson and a car that needs work, and decide, oh, I'll go blow 3 hours browsing OOT.

My life is totally lacking all of those right now. Cept for the girls. But I have excuses [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]