Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 08:50 PM

Default To believe or not to believe - that is the quesiton.

Howsabout this challenge. There seem to be quite a few agnostics and atheists on the forum. They seem to agree on one thing, religion is bunk.

Yet, they don’t seem to agree on the fundamental item of any of the Religions. That is, if God exists or not. I suggest these two camps (atheists and agnostics) discuss, debate and argue about it between themselves. When they come up with an answer they agree to, then come talk to us believers. Then show us how logical we should be.

Until all the “geniuses” agree to what to believe (think) how are we mortals supposed to know? Please, we are looking for guidance from you. Get back to us ASAP.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: To believe or not to believe - that is the quesiton.

[ QUOTE ]
When they come up with an answer ..

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's the point. Atheists/agnostics aren't quick to come up with nice tidy little answers to unanswerable questions.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: To be(lieve) or not to be(lieve) - that is the quesiton.

[ QUOTE ]
Howsabout this challenge. There seem to be quite a few agnostics and atheists on the forum. They seem to agree on one thing, religion is bunk.

Yet, they don’t seem to agree on the fundamental item of any of the Religions. That is, if God exists or not. I suggest these two camps (atheists and agnostics) discuss, debate and argue about it between themselves. When they come up with an answer they agree to, then come talk to us believers. Then show us how logical we should be.

Until all the “geniuses” agree to what to believe (think) how are we mortals supposed to know? Please, we are looking for guidance from you. Get back to us ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do basically agree that they don't know if god exists (and nor does anyone else). The disagreement about aethiest and agnostic is normally a minor difference in what they mean by the word 'belief'

chez
Old 10-07-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's the point. Atheists/agnostics aren't quick to come up with nice tidy little answers to unanswerable questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if the two camps are going to live in glass houses, then, please at least shut the curtains.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if the two camps are going to live in glass houses, then, please at least shut the curtains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would we waste our time debating each other on minor details about our unbelief when ultimately the difference between our perspectives is minor?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would we waste our time debating each other on minor details about our unbelief when ultimately the difference between our perspectives is minor?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Atheists believe (think) there is no god. I also was under the impression that Agnostics either think there is a possibility of one in some form or another or don’t take any stance.

This is minor?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it doesn’t. I have no way to know for sure if it does or not make sense when I guess I have no idea the difference between atheists and agnostics. If there is none then I do know I should probably throw my dictionary away.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Atheists believe (think) there is no god. I also was under the impression that Agnostics either think there is a possibility of one in some form or another or don’t take any stance.

This is minor?

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT, I think this is a false target. In general they believe 1) there is no reason to believe in god and 2) that they cannot prove god doesn't exist.

The rest is minor because its essentially a different use of language.

chez
Old 10-07-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is minor?

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT, I think this is a false target. In general they believe 1) there is no reason to believe in god and 2) that they cannot prove god doesn't exist.

The rest is minor because its essentially a different use of language.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying there are no atheists - only agnostics?