Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Commission Coach Play - A Full Report (long)

To refresh your memories, and to those who might have missed it, I had posted a request for someone to coach me at the 15/30 online game in exchange for a portion of my profits. I had several quality posters reply and I came to an agreement with one. This is a full report of how my play has went to date with a "commission coach".

First off, I will not be revealing my coach's identity nor discuss exactly what he has advised me of to date. I feel this info is of some value to him and since in a way I could be paying for it (once I become a winner) it is not fair to him or me.

I started playing 10/29/2004, to date I have played over 7000 hands, losing over 224 big bets:

This shot indicates a slightly worse loss than actual, evidently a hand or few hands were missed.

Took a long look at some different stats. I was minus -20 on getting my fair share of pocket pairs, which just so happened to be AA, KK & JJ. I was even on all other pairs.

AKs thru JTs I was actually +2 .

AKo thru KQo was - 5.

Three particular hands were by far, worse on EV:

AA - 2012
ATs - 1208
KQo - 1312

Total - 4532

My blind play tends to jump out of me as being very bad, at least from the amount I'm losing in those positions:

On the misc stats, I found it interesting that I'm losing money with 1 pair, almost half of my 2 pair lost money at showdown, almost 3/10 of my sets lost money at showdown, almost 1/4 of my flushes lost money at showdown, and 1/3 of my full houses lost money at showdown:

The filtered stats were based on the following parameters: VP$IP: 21% or less, PFR: 7% or greater,
W$SD: 51%. My results were far different from the rest of the group. Minimum 100 hands.

(Oops! Blacked out my own name in error. That's me on the bottom)

I know this was long, and apologize, I just wanted to provide a complete as picture as possible. I would definitely appreciate any and all comments on my play and stats.

To say I am discouraged would be a huge understatement. I honestly felt that with a coach my results would be far different. I know with my coach's advice I was feeling very confident. I know my play was not optimal, but definitely felt that it is good enough to be a winner at the 15/30 and my coach concurs.

Is this just short term variance or is there anything in my play that would indicate a huge problem? Once again, any and all comments I appreciate. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Commission Coach Play - A Full Report (long)

For Misc. stats, you need to check "Only hands that went to showdown," or it will count all sorts of hands that you folded.

-d
Old 11-17-2004, 04:21 PM

Thanks, I never noticed that before. However, I don't think there were too many sets, flushes, or full houses I folded prior to showdown. I will run it with that checked as I can see it could make a big difference with 1 pair/2 pair.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:28 PM

Sorry about your results thus far. I'm taking a similar shot at 15/30 and have been considering getting a coach, so I am very interested in what you're trying.

Just to be clear, these are your results with coaching? How does the arrangement work? Does your coach review hand histories after you play or look over your virtual shoulder and advise you as you play?

7K hands is still a relatively small sample, but I would expect you to at least be closer to break-even at this point if you are a winning player at this limit. I do notice that you are running bad. Just seeing your results with aces tells me that. This game has a very high variance, so it might be too early to draw any concrete conclusions.

I am probably not the best person to advise about stats at 15/30, but it looks like your PFR% is a little low. I'm curious what other (better) players think.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will run it with that checked as I can see it could make a big difference with 1 pair/2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many of these 2 pair hands had a pair on the board.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, these are your results with coaching? How does the arrangement work? Does your coach review hand histories after you play or look over your virtual shoulder and advise you as you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is with coaching and it is with hand history review, not a "virtual coach".
Old 11-17-2004, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For Misc. stats, you need to check "Only hands that went to showdown," or it will count all sorts of hands that you folded.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this and it did not change the stats at all. A quick review of the hands appears that this is correct.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will run it with that checked as I can see it could make a big difference with 1 pair/2 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many of these 2 pair hands had a pair on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

43 of them had a pair on the board
Old 11-17-2004, 09:59 PM

Your AA losses are killing you the most. You're missing out on 2k EV from those alone.

I can't tell your aggression rating, but it looks like you're just running badly. Bummer you had to start out htat way.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't tell your aggression rating, but it looks like you're just running badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop .69
Flop 2.39
Turn 1.47
River 1.12

Total 1.18

I know this is a little low, but I would like to think it is a reflection of the cards I got. The 20 starting hands of AA,KK & JJ that I did not receive (if I had gotten my fair share) would have made some improvement alone in the aggression factor.