Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 03:47 PM

Default \"He Arieh\'d me!\"

Excerpt from Jackpot Jay's article.

9 p.m. -- After my big hand against Spiro, I spend a few hours nursing my stack into the money. With about 55 people left, and the blinds at $600-1,200 (plus $200 antes), I'm sitting with $17,000 in chips (a bit under average at that point), when I am dealt Ad-Kd in the big blind. The guy in first position raises to $3,500, and the guy right behind him -- the guy who was seen on ESPN's coverage of the WSOP telling David Williams that, if he could outlast one more player, he would win an additional $100,000 -- goes all-in for $14,000.

The way I figure it, there's about $21,000 in the pot, and it will cost me another $12,800 to call, which means I'm getting better than 3-2 on my money (I'm assuming the original raiser is going to fold), and unless David Williams' friend has A-A or K-K -- which I think is unlikely, since with either of those hands I believe he would have made a more modest raise, hoping to induce a single caller -- I'm only, at worst, the slightest of underdogs to win the pot. (If he has A-K, I'm a favorite, unless his A-K is suited, too. And if he has something like A-Q suited, I'm a big favorite.) The question is: Do I want to put my tournament life on the line in a coin flip situation?

And the answer is: Yes, because, as Matt Matros has made crystal clear to me, when you have a real statistical advantage in poker, you must take advantage of it -- at least, if your goal is winning the tournament as opposed to just cashing. (Plus, I had already moved into the money, so what the heck.)

The good news: An ace came on the turn. The bad news: A six came on the flop, giving David Williams' friend an unbeatable set. Which wouldn't have been so horrible, except that he decides that merely winning the hand is not enough -- he also decides to "Arieh" me. "Calling me with A-K!" he sputters. "He called me, all-in, with an A-K!" As Steve Martin might have said, "Well, parrrr-doan me."

(The derivation of the verb "to Arieh": During a WSOP telecast, Josh Arieh berated Harry Demetriou for putting Arieh all-in -- AFTER ARIEH GOT LUCKY AND OUTDREW DEMETRIOU ON THE RIVER! Arieh seemed offended that Demetriou would dare to go all in against the great Josh Arieh, just as David Williams' friend was outraged that I had had the temerity to call his all-in bet with a mere A-K suited, which, by the way, was a lot better than Demetriou's A-J unsuited.)
Old 11-05-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Re: \"He Arieh\'d me!\"

Like i said don't worry about 3 handed situations in multies hehe. An as usual you don't have your story straight. Demetrious didn't call an all in preflop so makes no sense to use this as the exampe compared to yours. He flopped an ace then check josh bet and demetrious moved in. Josh called being the smaller stack got lucky then acted like a spoiled little brat kinda like u.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you miss this part, douche...err Vince...err smoothcall?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like i said don't worry about 3 handed situations in multies hehe. An as usual you don't have your story straight. Demetrious didn't call an all in preflop so makes no sense to use this as the exampe compared to yours. He flopped an ace then check josh bet and demetrious moved in. Josh called being the smaller stack got lucky then acted like a spoiled little brat kinda like u.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me? What part of this post am I being like a spoiled brat? I'm not going to discuss this with someone who has no reading comprehension.

In case you can't read, the whole "To Arieh" explaination was given to tell the reader what it meant. There's no connection between that hand and Jay's hand other than the other player berating an opponent for a good (or just marginally bad) call.

<font color="white"> fuckingidiot. </font>

Old 11-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Exactly. The scenario Jackpot Jay told of only compared to Demetriou's in the sense that he was berated by an opponent on what was not that bad of a call, just like Demetriou was against Arieh.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:41 PM

Actually, Steve Martin said "excUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSE MEEE!
not pardon me.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Here\'s the thing

I don't like to call all (or virtually all) of my chips where I am either a coin flip, or way behind.

Yes, the pot odds were bigger than the odds against him (11-10), but not by much.

AK is a great push hand, because if you are called, you are only way behind 6 possible hands (three ways to make AA and KK).

But AK is not such a great calling hand when you are gone if you miss.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-05-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Here\'s the thing

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to call all (or virtually all) of my chips where I am either a coin flip, or way behind.

Yes, the pot odds were bigger than the odds against him (11-10), but not by much.

AK is a great push hand, because if you are called, you are only way behind 6 possible hands (three ways to make AA and KK).

But AK is not such a great calling hand when you are gone if you miss.

Just my $0.02

[/ QUOTE ]

The real point to this part of the column was being berated for calling with this hand, which he was NOT covered and could knock out another player if he won.

The ending is good because he nurses his remaining stack to 22nd place.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:26 PM

you related it when you said by the way demetrious only had Aj off not Aks. Are you really this clueless. And you shouldn't have related them as all his chips went in AFTER he flopped an ace.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:45 PM

Maybe you've got SossMan on ignore, but

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so jedi is not relating anything.