Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Experiences with Poker Academy

I'm posting this on both the 2+2 and the Poker Academy forums, since I'd like feedback from both communities.

I'm a green fish. I KNOW I'm a green fish. But I WANT to become a winning player. I'm studying several Hold'em books and I'm using Poker Academy Texas Hold'em as a trainer.

I downloaded Poker Academy Texas Hold'em about two months ago. Since then I've been trying to get in at least 100 hands a day. I play limit ring games exclusively. I'm trying to play tight/aggressive as shown in Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold'em (I'll be picking up Small Staked Hold'em after my next read through Winning Low Limit Hold'em). I've got about 5000 hands played, and this is what I've noticed:

When I play Full Ring Beginners I get rolled over. Whenever I try to put a bot "on hand" I'm always wrong, and even when I have a great hand I end up getting out drawn. No one ever folds, the betting is capped at least once a hand and when I do make it so a showdown I get the weirdest bad beats. The Beginners are just too wild for me to win consistently at that table.

The Standard and Random tables are too tight for me to make money. The bots don't make too many mistakes. There never seems to be enough callers for me to play a drawing hand profitably. I can only rarely put a bot on hand. I win one hand in 40 or 50, but because the tables are so tight the pot is never big enough to cover the blinds plus the hands where I paid to see the Flop then folded. I end up loosing 2-4 big bets every 100 hands.

But then there's the Low Limit table. I seem to do OK there. I tend to be right when I put the bots on hand. There are usually enough callers for me to play drawing hands, and when I re-raise pre-flop with KK or QQ the bots seem to respect my projected strength and fold (like I WANT them to).

I've started a new profile and I'm using that profile to play Full Ring Low Limit $10/$20 games. When I get to 10,000 hands (about 3 months are 100 hands a night) I plan to import my sessions into Poker Tracker and see what I can see.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is what I'm experiencing typical? Do the rest of you find yourselves mind boggled by what happens at the beginner table? Are most of you able to regularly crush the game at Full Ring Standard? Do the rest of you find you can only make money playing Full Ring Low Limit?

I'd like the read about your experiences with Poker Academy as a Hold'em trainer.

Thanks,

phy