Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Strengthening the mind, need advice

So lately I've been trying to read Nietzsche or maybe The Memory Book or even Sklansky on Poker (Razz section). It seems everytime I pick up the book to read 15 minutes later (max) I am sleeping. I want to be able to read continuously and use my mind for a long period of time not this weak 15 minutes crap. Help me 2+2, you're my only hope.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Strengthening the mind, need advice

maybe you have ADD. take pills they will help.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you have ADD. take pills they will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. I took a friend's adderall once and instead of focusing I started laughing a lot and doing weird things. Apparently it works like that if you don't have ADD.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:51 PM

Get more sleep.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get more sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope that's not it. It's summer and I don't have a job. I definitely get enough sleep.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get more sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope that's not it. It's summer and I don't have a job. I definitely get enough sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get enough consistent sleep?

You either need more sleep or something like narcolepsy.

If by 'I am sleeping' you mean 'can't concentrate and eyes glaze over the page and I end up bailing and doing something else' then, yeah, you probably should start by trying to find something you find the elast bit interesting.

Yugoslav
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So lately I've been trying to read Nietzsche or maybe The Memory Book or even Sklansky on Poker (Razz section). It seems everytime I pick up the book to read 15 minutes later (max) I am sleeping.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a degree in physics and math (high boredom tolerance), but both Nietzsche and Sklansky on Razz make me fall asleep too. Go figure. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe try to get involved with the subject matter at hand. Ask yourself 'why' often while reading something, and don't stop thinking until you find a good answer and that little Party Poker 'congratulations' thing goes off in your head.

Also when reading a difficult subject matter, pick a topic (say an EV calculation or a particularly hard concept), read it until you think you understand it, then close the book and recreate the entire thing from first principles out of your own memory and logic. I used to do this with tough problems in physics/math, it's a great way to truly understand the subject matter, challenge yourself and stay entertained.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:32 AM

Okay I found this off one of my favorite sites Everything2.com

1. Close your eyes and start to visualize the number one in front of you and say "one" in your head when you see it clearly. Allow the one to disappear and start to visualize the number two and say "two" loud in your head when you see it. Repeat this procedure up to 100 if you can.
2. Choose a spot on the wall and look at it - don't focus too much on it though. Erase all thought from your mind and concentrate as hard as you can on your breathing. Hold on as long as you can.
3. Sit down and close your eyes. Clear your mind from all thought. Breath deeply and count each breath at each exhale. Hold your mind totally blank except for the counting as long as you can.
4. Select an object like a halfeaten cookie, a coin, a pen - anything - try to relax every muscle in your body and concentrate on the object. Start thinking about its shape, color, material etc and try to memorize its form. Then close your eyes and try to visualize it in front of you. If you can't, open your eyes again and start over.
5. Write a dream log each morning when you remember a dream and every night before you go to sleep, review your day in reverse. This exercise will help you remember your dreams.

The important think to keep in mind while doing these exercises is to keep your mind clear. If your mind starts to wander away, gently bring it back.

Do these exercises a few minutes a day. Don't demand to much from yourself in the beginning and increase the duration each day. I've just started doing these excerices and spends like ten minutes a day doing them.

I think I'm gonna do it. Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:25 AM

Sounds like you're not masturbating enough.

Pick up the pace, man. Use it or lose it.