Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Semi Pro\'s.. Whats holding you back?

After reading this forum and several others over the past 10 months I beleive that there are a fair amount of people out there that are playing semi-pro poker.

I am defining semi-pro players as those that play an a regular basis every week (say about 15-20 hours per week) have proven themselves long term winning players and have an expected return (hourly rate) each month that they play.

These players have a full time job (which is not poker) and play poker on the side for a nice little side income every month.

So why do so many semi-pro's not attempt to go pro?

I can think of a couple of reasons but I was hoping others can share their reasons or their eventual plans on how they plan on going from semi-pro to pro.

reasons why people are not going Pro:

Job Security: Some people are nor comfortable leaving a job they have had for 5, 10 or 20 years to "take a chance"

Financially Unable: With a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck these days they are unable to save up enough livng expenses plus have an adequate bankroll to get thru any swings

Family/Children: Unwilling to put their family and children at risk if they make the attempt and fail, where as if they were single they would try and attempt it.

Social Aspects: Don't want people thinking negatively of them. "You do WHAT for a livng, WHAT A LOOSER"

Caving to peer Presure: Being told over and over again by Family and friends how foolsih and irresponisble they are if they attempt it can make people doubt themselves.

Emotional Stress: Not being able to emotionaly handle the stress of having to play and win. The pressure can be intense if you have to win to pay your bills.

I am sure that there are others that I have missed, so lets hear your reasons
Old 10-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Semi Pro\'s.. Whats holding you back?

health insurance is a big one. in massachusetts at least, regulations mean that you can't find reasonably cheap insurance.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:07 PM

Playing poker fulltime gets to be a serious pain. The vast majority experience serious burnout within 6 months. Taxes suck, no insurance sucks, less social time sucks.

GoT
Old 10-07-2004, 03:07 PM

A big thing for me is commitment. I have been pulling in a good "extra income" from my "part time job" over the last few months - but he is the Key - it's "EXTRA"!

If I want to skip a few nights - I Can
If I want to "Take a chance" - I Can
If I want to blow my winnings on something else - I Can

Besides that - It's entertainment! I love to play, and play often, but it's still fun. I think when it becomes your "job" it looses some of the fun.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Because when I play poker seriously for weeks on end, I don't take a shower, I don't leave the house except for the occasional fast food run to keep myself alive, and I talk to nobody. Now, those are undoubtedly my own personal issues, but that's what is holding me back.

-Michael
Old 10-07-2004, 03:22 PM

hmm..does why I did go pro work? My wife had a baby in January and we needed someone to watch her. The wife has a good job with benifits and I was making more at poker than I was at my job, so we decided I would stay home and watch the baby and play "full time". (with a baby that has ended up as about 30 hours a week) No regreats so far.

Steve

BTW I had a crappy job I didnt like, so if the sky falls no big deal, needed a different job anyway
Old 10-07-2004, 03:23 PM

Bankroll

All my winnings have gone towards paying off debt. I felt that was more important. Now I can build bankroll.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:56 PM

I'm still learning (who isn't) and I make a very nice part-time income while studying, much more than I could with any student job anyway. Going pro is not ruled out, but I would have to be quite successful somewhat fast because when I'm out of Univ I'll get a job that will pay more than 18-20 an hour, which is what I average at the moment on tables.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:00 PM

My skills are lacking

And

There is no way I could make as much playing poker as I do in the working world.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:04 PM

I think a lot of people genuinely like what they do for a living. Certainly a minority -- but they DO exist!