Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: MD/VA/DC Players warning!

[ QUOTE ]
On that note, any possibility of a home game the weekend of Dec 17/18? I'll be in Northern VA.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be one of the most hijacked threads on the stud forum in a while--entertaining though.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:50 PM

Recommendation: Mike Emery Sux.

These places are a lot of fun.. It says coming soon to DC, so, maybe open in a month.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Recommendation: Mike Emery Sux.

These places are a lot of fun.. It says coming soon to DC, so, maybe open in a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that looks like my kinda place. I know your making the trip down here for this, Adam.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:13 PM

If not that how about this

:: Beermoney is tight-passive
Old 11-26-2005, 08:46 PM

mmmmm steak mmmmm

"Raise. Jeffage, pass the potatoes."
sounds good to me.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Although RuthsChris is awesome,
I prefer this or this.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although RuthsChris is awesome,
I prefer this or this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been to either. I did want to try the capital grille though.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 AM

Cap Grill probably has the best steak in DC and Old Ebbitt has the best atmosphere. You need to go to both.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:30 AM

From personal experience, some great ways to NOT get your home game jacked:

1) Only invite people you know or can vouch for personally, or that your brother or lifelong friends can vouch for personally.

2) Do NOT advertise game by any means other than word of mouth, and be -damn- careful who gets even the most cursory information (as much as possible anyway).

3) Lock all doors and windows. Make sure primary home security system (electronic one) is ON once the game starts.

4) Introduce all invited guests to secondary home security system (130-pound Doberman Trajan and 110-pound Doberman Hadrian). As extra touch, perhaps feed secondary home security system a little less for dinner that night to put them in semi-ornery mood.

5)Inform all guests to not be alarmed (the regular ones take it for granted anyway) that tertiary home security system (loaded Smith and Wesson 1911) will be within arm's reach of me at all times.

Overkill? Perhaps. But if some punk (or punks) tries to forcibly enter my home, where my wife and my little boy sleep, I will have NO compunction about having their throats torn out by the dogs, or putting a steel-jacketed, high-speed etiquette reminder or two directly between their eyes.

The word must have gotten out somehow. My game has never been bothered, once, in four years of playing weekly, for medium to high stakes.

My basic point is, if you're gonna play a home game, TAKE SECURITY PRECAUTIONS. There are too many desperate people out there looking for an easy buck and/or mark. Don't let yourself be that mark.

--Scott
Old 11-27-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From personal experience, some great ways to NOT get your home game jacked:

1) Only invite people you know or can vouch for personally, or that your brother or lifelong friends can vouch for personally.

2) Do NOT advertise game by any means other than word of mouth, and be -damn- careful who gets even the most cursory information (as much as possible anyway).

3) Lock all doors and windows. Make sure primary home security system (electronic one) is ON once the game starts.

4) Introduce all invited guests to secondary home security system (130-pound Doberman Trajan and 110-pound Doberman Hadrian). As extra touch, perhaps feed secondary home security system a little less for dinner that night to put them in semi-ornery mood.

5)Inform all guests to not be alarmed (the regular ones take it for granted anyway) that tertiary home security system (loaded Smith and Wesson 1911) will be within arm's reach of me at all times.

Overkill? Perhaps. But if some punk (or punks) tries to forcibly enter my home, where my wife and my little boy sleep, I will have NO compunction about having their throats torn out by the dogs, or putting a steel-jacketed, high-speed etiquette reminder or two directly between their eyes.

The word must have gotten out somehow. My game has never been bothered, once, in four years of playing weekly, for medium to high stakes.

My basic point is, if you're gonna play a home game, TAKE SECURITY PRECAUTIONS. There are too many desperate people out there looking for an easy buck and/or mark. Don't let yourself be that mark.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of this is good advise. Some is not. For Instance, if you have a family, and you are hosting a game someone might want to rob at your house, this is probably bad in the first place.

But only playing with people you know, and not advertising is a good idea.