Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 08:47 AM

Default I feel guilty being agressive and winning money

Ok not that guilty. But when at a passive table at Poker Stars with guys that have pictures of their dogs and kids in it, I feel guilty raising all the time and winning their money. They usually do a minimum buy-in for a table and end up broke in 5 minutes. I also start to think they start to leave the table coz of me.

I know I can cure this problem, still... it exists.

Ok here's another question, because I don't want to open another topic. When someone describes they use like
42/19/44. Wot does it mean? 42% vpip, 19pfr over 44 hands? Is that it? And sometimes they ise 55/9 is this 55%vpip and 9%pfr?

And another question, can I get rake back from Pokerstars?

-ty
Old 12-16-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: I feel guilty being agressive and winning money

i used to have this problem, i think i still might
Old 12-16-2005, 11:21 AM

I have the same problem-- I can't find a way to obtain rakebake on Stars either. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Don't feel guilty.

I'm one of those guys on Stars that you're probably taking money off!

I want you to try as hard as possible to take my money

You probably will continue to take my money for the next few months.

Because of you I read more, study more and play more.

Because of you I am more determined.

Because of you I am sure I will be a much better player in the long run.

I don't want to dominate the table and be complacent- that can come later when I've learnt more.

I want to play against people better than myself- I will learn more.

Bottom line: I don't begrudge anyone winning the pot. No one "deserves" to win it- they either win it or they don't. Simple as.

I'm in this for the long haul. Consequently you taking my money now will help me in the future.

Please don't feel guilty- you are doing me a favour.

Regards,
Ian
Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Poker is fun. If they are just dabbling around for something to do with entertainment $, why feel guilty? would you rather them loose it at blackjack or roulette?

Pain is Gain.

If they are in it serious, welcome to the world of poker. Who has played for awhile, worked on their game to improve, and not had that " kicked in the balls " feeling a few times in the early days ?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:59 AM

i just always worry i'm playing against someone with a gambling problem
Old 12-16-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok not that guilty. But when at a passive table at Poker Stars with guys that have pictures of their dogs and kids in it, I feel guilty raising all the time and winning their money. They usually do a minimum buy-in for a table and end up broke in 5 minutes. I also start to think they start to leave the table coz of me.

Ok here's another question, because I don't want to open another topic. When someone describes they use like
42/19/44. Wot does it mean? 42% vpip, 19pfr over 44 hands? Is that it? And sometimes they ise 55/9 is this 55%vpip and 9%pfr?

-ty

[/ QUOTE ]
Chat them up a bit. Ask them if they're up, and if they say no, ask them if they're careful with their playing limits. Also turn the avatars off
Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Nobody wants to take advantage of a serious problem like that, but this description doesn't sound like it. Problem gamblers don't bust out in 5 minutes and go away.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:20 PM

Are you cheating? The rules of poker are pretty straight forward, the best hand at show down wins the money. You aren't responsible for other people's actions, only your own. You aren't going to change anyone by some chat at an on-line table. If someone is giving away their money you want to get it because if you go soft on them someone else is going to do it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-ty

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really feel guilty then perhaps poker aint for you.

However, you should remember that most of the people are there for entertainment not winning. Thus, you taking their money is their entertainment and if they're willing to pay that then who the hell are you to say otherwise?

Or you could just turn off the avatars, never look at chat, and pretend it's just a video game.