Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Blind stealing against loose passives

This situation has happened a couple times lately and it didn't go well either time. At first I wrote it off to variance, but now I think I'm failing to adjust properly.

The situation is that I have an extreme loose passive (stats like 70/4/.2) 2 seats to my left so he is in the big blind when I am in the button. When it was folded around to me pre-flop and I raised, he would call with any two. His post-flop play was just as predictable. He would call down with top pair, second pair, or ace-high on a ragged flop. Throw in a rare raise if he hit a strong hand.

My first instinct was to tighten up pre-flop and occassionally limp (how weak is that!) because I had zero chance of stealing the blinds. It struck me later that I should have actually loosened up - reasoning that his predictable post-flop play would allow me play more starting hands profitably.

So I'm torn. Loosen up hoping to out play him post flop. Tighten up because I've lost all my blind steal potential. Or is there no general answer - i.e. I've got to take it case by case?

Edit: I'm playing 1/2 six-max, by the way
Old 10-29-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Blind stealing against loose passives

[ QUOTE ]
My first instinct was to tighten up pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

noooooooo!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
occassionally limp (how weak is that!)

[/ QUOTE ]

limping is cool if the sb is super loose as well and your hand has little showdown value such as 89s. if sb is tighter then you should be raising often to isolate yourself with the fish. then value bet him to death.

[ QUOTE ]
Loosen up hoping to out play him post flop

[/ QUOTE ]

the way to outplay is to value bet him to death and fold if shown aggression unless you have something strong. this opponent is easy to play against and your most profitable.

did i mention to value bet him to death.