online poker is rigged. I did a search and found these files on my computer:

alwayslosewithAA.exe
alwayswinfirsthandattable.exe
fishalwayshits3outer.exe

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
Old 10-24-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Poker Trojan??

Interesting, but since any operating poker site already deals the cards and therefore knows what the "son" holds, why would it bother to create a trojan to gather that same information .... Doesn't seem likely the poker site was responsible, it this ever occurred at all.

(Wasn't there some other type of site which encouraged players pooling information and, gasp, cheating, via some software they downloaded in common ..... Maybe "son" was actually a cheater?)
Old 10-24-2005, 06:49 PM

I think you misunderstood the article.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My boss’ son said that early on he was winning all the time, but lately he consistently lost his biggest hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Must be some pretty clever cheaters. They know he has a "big hand" and they still chase to the river. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I'd be a lot more convinced something was fishy if he said his pocket aces never got cracked and his "biggest hands" never went to show down.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, but since any operating poker site already deals the cards and therefore knows what the "son" holds, why would it bother to create a trojan to gather that same information .... Doesn't seem likely the poker site was responsible, it this ever occurred at all.

(Wasn't there some other type of site which encouraged players pooling information and, gasp, cheating, via some software they downloaded in common ..... Maybe "son" was actually a cheater?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the article asserts a third party was using a trojan to gather this information the poker site already has.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM

The article said ;

"I collected the Trojan and sent it to the online poker company"

That might have been where I went astray in my understanding of what this guy was saying.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Just for the record, I was not trying to in any way say that online poker is "rigged". The article was from a computer industry rag (InfoWorld) and is supposed to be written by a "computer security veteran and author who has done consulting work for many Fortune 500 companies". The rag has nothing to do with poker and the article is supposed to be about computer security.

I assumed (which yes, I know I shouldn't assumed) that this guy knew what he was talking about and had done something more in his testing than just assume that this virus had something to do with online poker since the kid plays poker.

I will email the author and see if he responds to why he thinks this has something to do with on-line poker and why he thinks this is what was happening. I just wanted to see if anyone here had heard of anything like this or not.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is from a security article I just read. Anyone else heard of this??

[ QUOTE ]
And here's a new one: Last week one of my clients asked me if I would take a look at his son’s college computer because it was behaving slowly. Hey, I never care about the type of system as long as I’m being paid the same rate.

The son is an avid online Texas hold'em player. I found an interesting Trojan called 1.exe in the root directory, which alerted other online players when my client’s son was online. It then recorded his cards during the different hands of poker and sent that information to the monitoring users. My boss’ son said that early on he was winning all the time, but lately he consistently lost his biggest hands -- not that it stopped him from playing, unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you leave out this line?

I collected the Trojan and sent it to the online poker company. Now, a devious mind might have reverse-engineered the Trojan and sent back the wrong cards to the cheating players and … oh, that’s right, I’m one of the good guys.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you leave out this line?

I collected the Trojan and sent it to the online poker company. Now, a devious mind might have reverse-engineered the Trojan and sent back the wrong cards to the cheating players and … oh, that’s right, I’m one of the good guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone should really reverse engineer one of those TROGANs that... althought he bad guys would only need to lose 1 (maybe 2 hands after saying wtf??? and realize they are being played).
Old 10-25-2005, 03:59 AM

Wasn't one of the components of WinHoldem the ability to share hole card information with other users when in "team mode?" I'm wondering if he was using the software or maybe tried it out for a while and this file was from their program.

I'm hoping that we do get some more information on this; it sounds like the original source from Infoworld is for real and there could be something to it.

Shauna