Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Checking in the dark

Sometimes I check in the dark so that people don't get to see my immediate reaction to the flop. Instead I can watch their response. It's more dangerous in no limit. It has a tendency to induce bluffs.

When I check in the dark in 6-12, people sometimes still call my raise. Heh.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you could say I'm in the dark when it comes to checking in the dark.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol....
Old 10-30-2005, 11:27 PM

In the main event, a player on my left (affectionately named "Card Rack" by myself) would repeatedly check in the dark. Every time he did so, he had a drawing type hand (JT, small pair, etc), and if he did so on the turn or river, he was on a draw. Very easy to figure out.

Unfortunately, he kept hitting his draw over and over and over. Hence the nickname.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:37 AM

You're right, but you shouldn't check in the dark with Aces or Kings or any "real" hand. The dark check, in my experience, ussually earns a free card on rag flops and flops your opponent might be afraid of. If your opponent checks behind you, and if you get a nice read on him, you can lead on the turn and take the pot with no pair or draw. Who knows, you might even win with the best hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 AM

There's a lot less hostility in this thread for dark checking compared to when David Williams did it a year ago in a hand against Josh Arieh.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot less hostility in this thread for dark checking compared to when David Williams did it a year ago in a hand against Josh Arieh.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a sweet dark check. It induced Arieh to make a mistake and go all in with no thought really and it ended up trapping him. Nice play Williams.[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a sweet dark check. It induced Arieh to make a mistake and go all in with no thought really and it ended up trapping him. Nice play Williams.[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a retarded dark check with a small pair and he got damn lucky that his opp. hit TPTK and he hit a set.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a stupid statement, all the money was going in on that hand dark check or no dark check.

Williams put half his stack in and then dark checked with a pocket pair. How would you feel about this play if the flop had come 8 9 J. Arieh checks it through and then hits a A on the turn.

What does williams do on a flop that he dark checked which doesn't give him a set such QJ8 where Arieh pushes All In with his AK. Does he get pushed off his best hand.

This was a time that David Williams tried to use a play taught to him by his mentor Luske. However, I would bet even Luske would state that was not the time or place for that play given the chip stacks and blinds.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:15 PM

in tournament play when people check to me in the dark i have said "im all in in the dark."

ive done it three times once the dude flopped the joint and the other times they folded.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:03 PM

checking in the dark did not begin w/ David Williams