Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-27-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Limit Hold \'em & Game Theory

Can anyone recommend a book which dives deeply into game theory as applied to hold 'em? Preferably including limit?

The more mathematical, the better.

2+2 authors: Do you have any favorites in this genre?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Limit Hold \'em & Game Theory

Chapter 19 of TOP deals quite a bit with Game Theory and Bluffing.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:17 PM

Thanks, but I was looking for something that I believe is not currently on the list of 2+2 publications. I own most of them already and haven't found what I'm looking for just yet. I was hoping someone had already applied the theory to common situations in a collection, but doing it myself won't kill me.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:47 AM

In Hold'em the last card will be dealt face up, so all the ideas from game theory that work so well in draw poker cannot be applied. I assume that this is the reason why you can find so little about it on the market.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 AM

I asked the same q about two weeks ago. You will find some useful answers in this thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...0033&page=

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 11:06 AM

Um, sure it can. Say you have a situation where you raised preflop & were called HU. He check raises you on the flop & you call. He follows up with a turn bet. So the pot is 5.25 now. He suspects you're stealing, and you suspect he's restealing, pegging you for UI overs. Assuming you're going to raise 100% of the time you have an overpair, twopair, TPTK or better, you can use game theory to determine how many additional times you must raise & bet the river to keep him from exploiting you. That is, if you only raised when you had one of these hands, he knows exactly when to fold, thereby exploiting you. So you match your bluffing frequency with the effective odds you're laying him to continue. Then the choice for him to continue or not is arbitrary. So if his effective odds once you raise the turn end up being 8:2, then he needs to win 20% of the time. So bluff raise the turn & bet the river 20% of the time & have the hand the other 80%.

I was looking for this in many of the common situations for limit & no-limit games.