Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-25-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Best way to get internet?????

I have a main family computer on the first floor of my house. I just got a computer for the second story which I will use mainly for poker. I already have a wireless conection set up for my laptop, but it is unreliable, sometimes being full strength, other times not being able to connect at all. I went as far as buying a range expander which makes the signal stronger when I can get a connection, but I still can't always get one. What is the best way to get a reliable internet connection? I don't think getting a 70ft phoneline cord would help if I were to hook it up to my modem. Thanks
Old 12-25-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Best way to get internet?????

Ethernet. How does the main computer connect to the internet?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ethernet. How does the main computer connect to the internet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cable modem. What is ethernet?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:12 PM

Ethernet cabling are the cables that connect the cable modem to the computer.

Buy a router, connect the cable modem to the WAN port, and connect both computers to the router using Ethernet cabling. This is the safest way to connect to the Internet for novice users. Wireless Internet sucks for online poker play, so run cable up the walls or down vents (if it doesn't violate building codes).
Old 12-25-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ethernet cabling are the cables that connect the cable modem to the computer.

Buy a router, connect the cable modem to the WAN port, and connect both computers to the router using Ethernet cabling. This is the safest way to connect to the Internet for novice users. Wireless Internet sucks for online poker play, so run cable up the walls or down vents (if it doesn't violate building codes).

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard the signal dies, plus I don't know how I would run wires from oppisite ends of a large house
Old 12-25-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard the signal dies, plus I don't know how I would run wires from oppisite ends of a large house

[/ QUOTE ]

The signal dies from Ethernet cabling? You do realize that cable wires are run hundreds of miles across the country without significant signal loss, right? We're talking 100 feet or so.

If you don't want to run cabling, then wireless is the only option you have. Which sucks. So either put up with a bit of trouble now and wire it (which is infinitely more reliable and faster) or stick with wireless connections that drop out during hands.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The signal dies from Ethernet cabling? You do realize that cable wires are run hundreds of miles across the country without significant signal loss, right? We're talking 100 feet or so.

If you don't want to run cabling, then wireless is the only option you have. Which sucks. So either put up with a bit of trouble now and wire it (which is infinitely more reliable and faster) or stick with wireless connections that drop out during hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright you sound like you know what you are talking about. I have a cable modem hooked up to my downstairs computer. To run it upstairs, do I just need to buy a very long cable cord? Do I need another modem? Thanks a lot
Old 12-26-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The signal dies from Ethernet cabling? You do realize that cable wires are run hundreds of miles across the country without significant signal loss, right? We're talking 100

[/ QUOTE ]

umm im sorry but where in the world does ethernet cables run for hundreds of miles.......
ISPs do not use ethernet to transfer the datastream to your house it comes through an extremely high amplified line that is not even close to an ethernet cable, it then goes into a tap in your basement and then into a coaxial cable up to your modem......
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR AN ETHERNET CABLE TO GO OVER 300 FEET
in my expierence it will not last 70
we had an electrician string ethernet lines throughout our house and after weeks of frustration we found that the only line that worked was about 30feet of cable....and the next closest was a 70foot line that would not work (we were using cat5e ethernet cable in case u were wondering)

needless to say we went to wireless and i have never had a problem whatsoever

mine is reliable (although i have seen some that arent)
and all are just as fast for accessing the internet as a etherenet line would be because you probabaly only have about a 6mbs connection from your ISP unless your paying over 300$ a month just for one line

please do not answer questions when you dont know what you are talking about
Old 12-26-2005, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ISPs do not use ethernet to transfer the datastream to your house it comes through an extremely high amplified line that is not even close to an ethernet cable, it then goes into a tap in your basement and then into a coaxial cable up to your modem......

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding, genius.

[ QUOTE ]
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR AN ETHERNET CABLE TO GO OVER 300 FEET

[/ QUOTE ]

And where exactly did the OP say that it was going 300 feet?

[ QUOTE ]
please do not answer questions when you dont know what you are talking about

[/ QUOTE ]

So I suppose the fact that I am a network technician and have installed several business applications for networks has no bearing on this, right? One of us is speaking with correct punctuation and is relating the skills to the OP so he/she can understand it well enough, and one of us can't be bothered to eloquate his thoughts with any intelligence whatsoever. I could go into specifics of signal loss and need of repeaters over distance and other technical terms, but for the specifics that the OP needs to know, I am wording it so he/she understands.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright you sound like you know what you are talking about. I have a cable modem hooked up to my downstairs computer. To run it upstairs, do I just need to buy a very long cable cord? Do I need another modem? Thanks a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a router? If not, buy a decent 10/100/1000 router (I recommend Linksys products for beginners), connect the modem to your WAN port on the router, then connect each computer to the other ports on the router. Setup should be quite simple, as the router should automatically configure everything you need for a basic cable connection.