Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 PM

Default My Amazon review of Kill Phil

"These guys have fleshed out David Sklansky's all-in or fold "system" from Tournament Poker for Advanced Players. And they have done it using concepts similar to those Dan Harrington wrote about in Harrington on Holdem 2 - (i.e., M, Q and zones) combined with position.

If you are new to NLHE tourneys, this is a good way to learn to play. If you aren't new but having trouble, this book will help get you back on the right track.

As for the book itself, there is quite a bit of filler material in the beginning that would only be of interest to complete beginners. But after that, the book is outstanding.

Kill Phil joins the Harrington books, David Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, Barry Greenstein's Ace on the River, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Howard Lederer's More Secrets of NLHE DVD as the best resources available on NLHE tourneys."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0929712...ks&v=glance
Old 11-29-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: My Amazon review of Kill Phil

[ QUOTE ]
Kill Phil joins the Harrington books, David Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, Barry Greenstein's Ace on the River, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Howard Lederer's More Secrets of NLHE DVD as the best resources available on NLHE tourneys."

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 AM

i don't think he's kidding.

mason himself said he had a lot of respect for these authors (forget their names) and that he was interested in checking this book out.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 PM

I am very interested in purchasing this book but will wait for Mason's review first. If Mason gives it a 7 or better, I am there.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Dammit, Binions! Any time I go to read a post of yours I always wind up watching your avatar for 30 seconds before I snap out of it and actually read.

Eh, who am I kidding? I'm not upset, that avatar is good stuff.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

It's a great way to play SNGs, and in trying to incorporate the system into my MTT arsenal, I have used it for the last few days in four Stars $20+2 180 max SNG/MTT and in one $10 Rebuy.

I placed in three of the 4 $20+2/180 max tourneys - finishing 7th, 13th and 14th. I finished 16th out of 1460 in the one $10R I played using the system. Here are the tourney numbers if you want to verify:

Book cost $17, and using it for a week has won $730 in prize money.

To me, a good poker book is one that helps its target audience make money. This one qualifies.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:46 PM

Interesting, I'll have to check this book out.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 AM

Have to agree with Binion's here. Just read this book over the past few days and it well worth the money spent and time to read it.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:06 PM

The question all of us are asking is: What does this book contribute that makes it worth it after you have read Harrington ... what is the extra material, what sets it apart ??

Please inform us :-)
Old 12-04-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question all of us are asking is: What does this book contribute that makes it worth it after you have read Harrington ... what is the extra material, what sets it apart ??

Please inform us :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am finishing HoH 2 and Kill Phil is due to be delivered to my house by Wednesday. I'll let you know after next weekend [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]