Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 PM

Default An idea for analyzing by session

Every now and then someone makes a call for a hand history swap between players. I think this is a wonderful idea since, to paraphrase Ed Miller, your biggest leak is the one you make over and over and are not aware of.

I have and idea that is based on this hand history swapping, but will get more people involved in the act. Here is what I propose: one person anonymously post hand histories over an entire session for evaluation. This would mean that no one would know who they were evaluating, which I think would be a good thing since no one would feel intimidated to criticize the play of a well respected poster. This would also allow the player whose play is being evaluated to receive honest and objective criticism (not that they don’t already, but it would ensure it even more).

If a player has a regular leak, then it is likely that others have that same leak. Identifying this leak for one player would likely help numerous others. Let’s say, for example, that Johnny has some issues in big blind, and that he makes too many laydowns on the turn when he’s getting good odds. If someone were to point out incidents of this, then it logically helps Billy too if he has the same problem.

Here is how it would work. A player would anonymously send me a HH of a session he played, let’s say of at least a hundred hands, but not over 200. After a cursory review, I would post this session hand by hand, of course omitting the contributor’s identity. That would remain between me and him (or her – we have a couple of female posters too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

I want to make it clear I am NOT calling for hand history submissions right now!! I am merely floating this as an idea to the forum. If I get enough support I will do it. If you like this idea please respond in this thread. If you would be willing to have one of yr session scrutinized anonymously, mention that too. If enough people like this idea I will likely pm someone at that point.

EDIT TO ADD: This will be looking at ring games at first. This does not preclude 6 max in the future though.

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD: For those of you that are not reading the subposts (don't blame you -- there are a lot of them), I am thinking about putting this session post at the top as a locked sticky. This will keep the clutter down. People will respond to a specific hand within that post by the last numbers of the hand number and the hand rank, so it would look like "Hand 4577 QTs".
Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: An idea for analyzing by session

Count me in.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:07 AM

I love the idea. And I'm already swapping hands with a friend but would do this too.

Except I'm not clear on the mechanics (probably doesn't matter). I would, for instance, send you a session you'd eventually post every hand of here? Then ppl here comment? Maybe there's nothing more important than hand review but how could the forum support the dozens of players submitting hundreds of hands, and the hundreds of posts that in turn would generate?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 AM

Greg, did you get my 17 PM's of my last 34 sessions?

Ha, just kidding.

Seriously, I remember something along these lines coming up a while back. I don't think it went anywhere.

It is a great idea, however. I'm all for it. I'll donate a session. It should be a good one too, since I haven't played limit in a long time and now suck.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:09 AM

I like the idea. Do you want to wade through a whole session with most of them standard hands, though? Only a few hands in every session require tough or non obvious decisions, even if you filter by those you only put money in the pot. Of course people might not send hands where they have a leak because they think the play they're making is standard.

Matter of fact, just do the whole uncensored session.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:10 AM

Sounds like a good idea; I'd go for it. I assume a multi-tabling session is acceptable (as opposed to 100 hands at a single table)?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 AM

Hands could be exported from PT to text file(s), which could be hosted somewhere. A link to the host site could be posted here, and everyone could import the hands in to thier own PT and review at thier leisure.

One problem I see with this is that anonymity is destroyed. Perhaps the HH files could be edited to replace 'GrunchCan' with 'Hero' or something.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 AM

There was an effort to do something similar privately, and I've always thought it was a good idea. Reminds me of the full session pf posts way back when.

Converting the hands will be a bitch, and going through 100+ static hands seems much less attractive than replaying them in PT (even backwards... am I the only one who doesn't know how to start at the beginning of the session rather than the end?).

Anyway... an alternative would be to make a txt file available for download and importation into PT (either in lieu of or in addition to posting). A simple find and replace should be enough to preserve anonymity, and if we all use the same screen name we can see how our frakenplayer's stats and success change over time. Way more fun than sea monkeys.

Let me know if I can do anything to help get this off the ground.

Oink.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Converting the hands will be a bitch, and going through 100+

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually a perl script to do this would be pretty simple to write (I'd do it). I'm only familiar with party's histories but this part could be very easily automated...

Mike
Old 07-23-2005, 12:40 AM

I was planning on using the PonksSaver converter. Think this is a good idea?