Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Cold-Cards

[ QUOTE ]

I played in a MSNG tonight, took 14/45, but I played only 10 hands out of about 50...that isn't good!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's 20% which is fine. I usually play less hands than that.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:18 AM

Yeah. I play less than 20% as well.

With poker you're not guaranteed to get good hands. Actually at any time the odds are in favor of your next hand being complete crap.

If you think you're getting bad cards, then figure out what the odds are of getting a good hand. Then try keeping notes. I'm sure you'll find that you're getting pretty much the hands you should expect over time.

For instance if you think TT+, AJ+ and KQ are good hands, then on average you should get 1 good hand in 14 hands. That means you should play 7 hands out of 100. That's way less than the 20% you play now.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's 20% which is fine. I usually play less hands than that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems fine to me too. When I'm "cold decked" in a given tournament I'm usually playing ~13% of my hands. Normally closer to 20%.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:20 AM

I have officially casted my vote for post of the year.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:17 AM

Variance is a myth. Online poker is rigged and the cards are out to get me!
Old 12-23-2005, 10:32 AM

HA HA HA.

With all the high PPs and AKs I've been getting, I figured SOMEONE out there had to be getting screwed. Turned out it was you!
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 AM

On-line poker is a giant set-up intended to make the rest of us rich by bankrupting you $20 at a time.

Someone want to lock this thing?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:44 AM

There arent that many to get and probably other players seem like they are playing more because they are playing looser. You need to think about times when you can steal blinds and make some extra cash.

Also so what if you only played 10 hands. If they win you the money thats good. I have had tournaments where I played 4 hands to get to final 3. single table of course. Then I opened my game.

Don't worry about it. Basic rule is that if you dont play it in limit dont play it in no limit. I was once like you very very anally tight. You will figure out what works and what does eventually and play more hands. I mostly steal.

My general play is to play tighter early and looser later when its on the bubble.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:53 AM

You may just be a [gasp] losing player. If you've played 20-30 SNG games up to this point and have only cashed in one of them this may be the case. It's hard to say for certain without a larger sample.

What books have you read and what do you plan to read? Do you feel you have any strong points to your game? Anything you know you need to work on?

It's good to figure out where you stand and analyze your own play. Try to figure out where your leaks are and plug them. I know from your previous posts that you have PT - go through your hand histories in the replayer and analyze your own play.

I notice you've made a lot of hand posts in the SSSH forum but nothing here yet. Any reason why?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There arent that many to get and probably other players seem like they are playing more because they are playing looser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, poker tracker tells me I play over 30% of hands. But then I'm a well known donkey fish.

My suggestion is: early on, try to get into multiway pots cheap with good drawing hands, and push your good hands hard because there are enough donkeys around who will be eager to pay you off. As the tournament progresses, and the blinds are bigger part of your stack (especially if there are antes), open up and look for spots to steal pots preflop. Basically play the opposite of how your table is playing.

Also, get a better luckbox.