Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-21-2005, 10:43 AM

Default weak tight at 1/2 6max?

Whats up all,
When playing 1/2 6max I notice that the weak tight players have all the money. I cant begin to tell u how many flop bets I feel i waste just for the sake of keeping the lead knowing i will get called by the fish at the table. I am considering shifting to a weak tight style against weak oppts and lead out on flop against tight oppts. Can I get some opinions of checking on the flop more after raising?

Maybe against single oppt ill lead or 2 with a paired board but the majority of the time when i lead the flop i get called no matter what. Its a waste at these limits.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: weak tight at 1/2 6max?

I don't know about the use of the term "weak-tight" here. It's not weak-tight to know that you often have little-to-no fold equity against calling stations and to play accordingly.

Generally, I don't like checking the flop after raising, because it just makes my hand too easy to read. Even fish will soon notice that you check the flop when you missed and bet the flop when you hit. Against calling stations, though, you need to be less assertive on the turn when you don't improve. These kinds of players love to call with anything which is why your fold equity is so low, but they also love to give free cards. So while you would sometimes go ahead and bet the turn against tighter or more aggressive opponents, it makes sense to check more often against looser and more passive opponents.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 AM

You lead out on the flop for two reasons:

1. You have the best hand
2. You want them to fold because you're representing the best hand

If they won't fold, and you are unlikely to have the best hand based on board texture, sure, don't bet. Don't do anything automatically in this game. Consider all the variables.

The other thing to think about is that a lot of players will peel on any flop with anything, but they'll give up on the turn. Learn who they are, and learn to fire a second barrel.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:02 AM

Wouldn't there be (at least) three reasons? Not giving free cards to an over for instance...

Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 11:09 AM

That's implied in both (1) and (2). If villain has an overcard smaller than yours, you're ahead and don't want to give a free card for the same reason you wouldn't want to give a free card if you had TP. If villain's overcard is bigger than yours (you have KQ and he has A2 on a J74 flop), then you'd like to fold him out by representing a better hand, like AJ.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 AM

Unbridled aggression will be spewing at 1/2 6-max. You need to learn some passive lines and more importantly be able to fold early in the hand when it is clear you are beaten or drawing thin. You can get away with slowplaying more often and be aware that your opponents will be doing the same. Just because thewre are ONLY 6 players doesn't mean you will be the favorite on the flop if all of them see the flop and it misses you. Many of the 6-nmax tables have more players on average seeing he flop than at full-ring. You need to account for that. Look into every post you can about playing overcards. Auto-betting overcards into 3 or more players is often a mistake.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other thing to think about is that a lot of players will peel on any flop with anything, but they'll give up on the turn. Learn who they are, and learn to fire a second barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so true. If I have a good no pair hand I usually fire again against 1 opponent and usually check against more. Don't give the calling stations a free card. If you are called you'll almost always get a free showdown.