Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: What does it mean when your opponent calls/raises PREFLOP?

i saw a guy do it the other day in SH. he was the cutoff with AA and i think he was afraid that everyone would fold. i had TT on the button and slowed way down after the open limp/rr. i think it was a lousy play as he would have won 2 or 3 more bets from me if he had open raised.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: What does it mean when your opponent limp/reraises PREFLOP?

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, there has only been one time each w/AA and KK that I haven't raised it PF, and in both cases it was already four bets to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is rather tangential, but I've limped AA and KK once each, both in unusual circumstances.

With KK, I was SB and it was folded around to me. The Big Blind was a weak passive player who never defended his blinds; I was pretty sure would fold if I'd raised, but would call to the river if I'd just limped. So limp I did. Ironically an Ace on the flop proved helpful as I rivered the nut flush [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I limped AA in an MTT last week. I was terribly shortstacked with maybe 1.5BB left, and it was folded to me around MP2 or so. I needed more than just a blind steal to stay afloat, so I just limped hoping I'd get a few more in and go all-in on the flop. Unfortunately I only managed one caller anyway so it didn't make a difference, and I was out in another couple orbits.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your preflop raises get respect? Huh? Dude, this is micros. When I get dealt AA KK or AKs UTG I expect, nay, DEMAND to be outdrawn by J3o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. It is probably due to my poor game selection skills. I don't always have the patience to wait around for 20 minutes looking for a game full of fish. Maybe it is just the site I play on... I play at Stars. On average, at least when I look, fewer people see the flop at 0.50/1 limit than at the 1/2 limit tables there. The average VP$IP of the tables I sit at is around 25%.

I am looking at PokerTracker right now, and it says I have only limped with AA UTG once, and raised with it twice in that position. Terrible sample size, but over half my table was made up of tight passives that one time. Contrary to what I thought, in my 4k hands recorded, I have never done it with KK or AK.

It very well may have been a bad move on my part, but I think it blindsided the one limper and the blinds when I showed down AA that hand... they never saw it coming [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 07:39 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking, and then you described the exact situation the other day in which I did it with, yup, 76c. We ended up with a capped pot PF, 7 to the flop.

I flopped an open ended straight flush draw. Then went runner runner to trip sevens, which were way good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a very good or tricky player it quite often means AA/KK/QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

At a normal low limit hold em game only donks limp reraise.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 AM

I've seen it about 5 times so far. Once AA, once KK, once QQ, and another couple of complete garbage. I've done it once in about 3K hands. I limp UTG with KQs looking for more limpers, 2 more limp then a crazy player raises in LP. He raises a lot of junk like KTo, almost any 2 suited etc. The blinds come along and not reraising here is criminal. My equity edge here is enormous.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pop quiz hotshots

Give a scenario in which limp re-raising is appropriate at a Party .5/1 table. Not a trick question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are UTG. Maniac sitting to your left will raise every hand preflop but call or fold if you raise.