Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 PM

Default ***ATTENTION PRO MTT\'ERS/SNG\'ERS***

I've recently been talking with a friend about officially trying out the pro poker route. I am a little nervous about it, and what my parents might think, but I think I have a good chance of being successful.

I cannot play cash games, I hate them, and in turn I don't play as well as I should. I used to "own" 25NL, 4 tabling on party and I probably couldnt even do that now. I want to play SNG's and MTT's, thats it. I feel like my game has really stepped up lately and the results have been good, making more money than I could have ever imagined.I have a couple of questions about this lifestyle, and feel free to chime in with any other advice you might have...

1. How Long have you been pro?
2. How Stable is your income? Do you incorporate SNG's?
3. How do you deal with the swings of MTT play?
5. Do you like your "job"?
6. Can you tell me your exact schedule if you have one, and do you always stick to it?

I am giving serious consideration to trying this out for at least 6 months, and would love to hear any insight, comments, and suggestions, as well as the answers to these questions... Thank you for your help. -Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: ***ATTENTION PRO MTT\'ERS/SNG\'ERS***

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently been talking with a friend about officially trying out the pro poker route. I am a little nervous about it, and what my parents might think, but I think I have a good chance of being successful.

I cannot play cash games, I hate them, and in turn I don't play as well as I should. I used to "own" 25NL, 4 tabling on party and I probably couldnt even do that now. I want to play SNG's and MTT's, thats it. I feel like my game has really stepped up lately and the results have been good, making more money than I could have ever imagined.I have a couple of questions about this lifestyle, and feel free to chime in with any other advice you might have...

1. How Long have you been pro?
2. How Stable is your income? Do you incorporate SNG's?
3. How do you deal with the swings of MTT play?
5. Do you like your "job"?
6. Can you tell me your exact schedule if you have one, and do you always stick to it?

I am giving serious consideration to trying this out for at least 6 months, and would love to hear any insight, comments, and suggestions, as well as the answers to these questions... Thank you for your help. -Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:24 PM

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHTFUL POST SIR.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:27 PM

1. 6months
2. week to week is wild, but month to month is relatively stable.
3. Play more limit
4. Hey, there is no 4.
5. Yeah, it is alright. Tons of freetime, but I miss human interaction that comes with a regular job.
6. 6 hours a day, from 3pm-12pm, 5-6 days a week. And yeah, I pretty much stick to it.

OK, I'm not an MTT pro, I'm a limit pro. Mike, I really suggest you try to incorporate cash game play into your schedule. It isn't like you don't know how to play cash, you are simply more afraid of it or something. Cash games is where the money is.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM

1. Since April. Looking back, I really wasn't good enough to turn pro when I started as I was really on a sick little heater. I have struggled immensly at times (most of which has come from poor bankroll management.)
2. When I am disciplined, relatively stable. When I am not, it can be a struggle.
3. Since MTTs are high variance, I tend to play a lot more sngs.
5. I love it. But, like cardsharp says, I miss the social interaction that comes with having a normal job.
6. No schedule at all. I try to play 250 sngs a week, but rarely do.

For the most part, I was in the right place at the right time as I have had a relatively low monthly nut over the last year. I have made some terrible decisions, and have had some very stressful times. But, as in life, there have been times where I have lived life on easy street. I would say that discipline has been the number one thing that I have struggled with. If you do decide to go pro, the best advice I can give to you is to protect your bankroll.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM

mike,
sorry was not at all trying to be a dick, although it appears it came across that way- I was just trying to be concise and the Chinese food came [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I hope you are able to make it as a pro and I hope you run well for the rest of your life, but I just want to caution you that you won't always run well and that you will run worse than you EVER thought possible. I think this game can be pretty humbling at times, and just when you come to believe your heater is now your sustainable level of play, you get knocked on your ass. I do not know the level of your play, and for all I know your are 10x the player I am. I hope you currently have few responsibilities in your life and have finished college. Also, be prepared to for people to pass serious judgements on someone who says they are a professional poker player- which I think is heard as "degenerate gambler".

Look, man, I again apologize for coming across as a schmuck and I really hope your success at poker and whatever else you choose is limitless. Just know that when you are running bad, there is no weekly paycheck to make up the difference and that psychologically it might be harder than most other professions.

And CSC is right- the real money is in cash.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mike,
sorry was not at all trying to be a dick, although it appears it came across that way- I was just trying to be concise and the Chinese food came [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I hope you are able to make it as a pro and I hope you run well for the rest of your life, but I just want to caution you that you won't always run well and that you will run worse than you EVER thought possible. I think this game can be pretty humbling at times, and just when you come to believe your heater is now your sustainable level of play, you get knocked on your ass. I do not know the level of your play, and for all I know your are 10x the player I am. I hope you currently have few responsibilities in your life and have finished college. Also, be prepared to for people to pass serious judgements on someone who says they are a professional poker player- which I think is heard as "degenerate gambler".

Look, man, I again apologize for coming across as a schmuck and I really hope your success at poker and whatever else you choose is limitless. Just know that when you are running bad, there is no weekly paycheck to make up the difference and that psychologically it might be harder than most other professions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was goign to type a long response to this... but ill just say this. I'm not a goddamn idiot.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a goddamn idiot.

[/ QUOTE ] So what kind of idiot are you?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mike,

[/ QUOTE ]

I was goign to type a long response to this... but ill just say this. I'm not a goddamn idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Maybe I should just apologize AGAIN and wish you the best. Never once did I call you an idiot nor insinuate anything close to it. From the little I know of you from the boards, that would in fact be the complete opposite opinion I would have. Maybe my post was a bit dull and general looking back it- perhaps the product of being a new father and looking at the world differently.

Best of luck.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM

1. year and a half
2. quite stable
3. play 6 a day, gotta hit sometime.
5. i hate it. its mind numbing.
6. i wake up whenever i feel like it. i load up a ton of sngs. i figure out what mtts im playing for the night. i go to bed when i get tired. thats the part i like.

consider this. dont do it. or do it for like 6 months full time. i played around 7500 sngs in 3 months. after that i wanted to kill myself. mtts arent as bad because they arent so damn boring, but still.. holla