Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Rake Deduction from Pot Odds

Having just read a post somewhere, something caught my attention that makes some sense. Somebody posted a hand of his and paranthesized his rake deduction from the bets counted. So his post looked something like:

3.5 Small Bets (-.5 because of rake)

I never even considered deducting the rake from the size of the pot but thinking about it now, it does make sense. If money is being taken away from the pot, and your still counting it, doesn't that change your pot odds? For example, with the pot laying at 10.5-to-1, you decide to call for your gutshot chase.. but really, the pot is at 8.5-to-1 because the rake took away money.

Some help is greatly needed,
Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Rake Deduction from Pot Odds

That's the best part about online poker, the pot size is spelled out for you post rake. But I do get what you're saying, I pretty much just try to count the number of bets going into the pot. Then look at the rake (I mean actually look at it, it's right on the table) and subtract it rather than try to count every chip in the pot. However since I rarely play 2-4 or 3-6 live anymore the rake doesn't have as big an effect on pot size.

Good luck,
Matt