Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Backgammon, Pascal, Sklanskyanity

Backgammon is a pure game, in the sense that it has a definite creator, definite rules, and definite purpose. One could fathomably argue that the laws of Physics and "rules" of mathematics or logic are similar to the "game" of life, but nobody, save a few of the above evangelical Christians will agree that such a degree of definition- of the game of life, necessarily exists in reality. The mere fact the "game" exists, cannot inherently imply any such meaning or purpose and also makes no such implication to the rules that we perceive governs it. The simple truth that most people disagree about what is "right" or "wrong" in a variety of moral, logical, or even mathematical circumstance should lean the mind toward accepting the possibility of no singular, definite truth.

-NM

-xN
Old 06-04-2005, 01:01 AM

David, good theory, my favorite is the title it gets "Sklansky-Pascal Wager". Goodluck, hope you win a nobel prize.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:44 PM

DS - [ QUOTE ]
Most of you guys are analyzing this with too fine a toothcomb. The main thing to understand is that if you believe that IF there is a God he wants us to behave a certain way, it is not necesaary that we believe that the existence of God is certain, or even probable, to make it a good bet to behave that way. The argument only falls apart if you believe one of the requirements God has of us is to be certain of his existence rather than to just assume it, as we do in some backgammon or bridge situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

... Later on in thread ... [ QUOTE ]
David Sklanksy responds,
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Go back to the backgammon example."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The example does not hold.

Backgammon has a known goal- to win.

The wishes of the probalilistic entity are not known or certain.

On a general point about these types of discussions, there seems to be an assumption that the techniques such as mathematics, physics, and/or logic will answer all questions. This does not necessarly have to be true. (Consider said entity may have designed it as such.)

However, the answer to some of these questions likely does lie somewhere that I have not seen these posts go- biology.
Therein contains some of the reasons people believe what they believe, think how they do. Think about it.

I have a lot more on this if you are interested.

-the ghost.

[/ QUOTE ]

My two plus two cents:

The "homosexuals" of the 1970's or those with a tendency or those who found guys hot or whatever, but who didn't act on that belief out of respect for their Judeo-Christian-Islamic values because they "assumed" the bible to be true, well, they didn't get AIDS, now did they? In fact they probably had a very nice life.

Now does it matter to them whether the Bible is literally true or not?

Or does the difference between getting AIDS and dying, and having a family living a good life, does that matter?

Honestly , most of these guys probably DON'T believe in god, even though they follow the law (of god).

Another example is blood transfusions, and another great one (cited by President Eisenhower's physician) is the prohibition against eating fat. Every educated athiest will simultaneuously tell you high fat diet is bad for you and that the bible is dead wrong and stupid.

Life does have a goal - to live well! , and flop the nuts with redraw(s). (footnoted)

(footnote) -
30:15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil;

30:16 In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

30:17 But if thine heart turn away, so that thou wilt not hear, but shalt be drawn away, and worship other gods, and serve them;

30:18 I denounce unto you this day, that ye shall surely perish, and that ye shall not prolong your days upon the land, whither thou passest over Jordan to go to possess it.

30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

30:20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

30:21 And while you're at it, remember to have a redraw when you flop the nuts that thous bankroll mayest multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee.

-- The Big Guy (TBG)