Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: PF questions

I'll give this is a shot, using ATo from MP1:

Raise: Most tables. You raise when your PFR is likely to be respected, when the table is playing relatively tight, and/or (most of) the players behind you (especially outside of the blinds) are tight enough to fold a hand like AJo or 55 to an MP1 raise. You would also raise this when there are one or two very loose calling stations behind you, who will happily coldcall with a worse ace or some other hand that's a dog to your ATo. It helps if those one or two players are also straightforward/passive in their postflop play.

Limp: Rarely. Basically, limited to times when the players behind you are likely to limp behind with worse hands (especially worse aces) if it is not raised, but fold those same hands if it is. And also when those same players can be counted on to raise better aces behind your limp, allowing you to play your hand accordingly postflop.

Fold: Sometimes. When there are one or more tight, aggressive, and good/tricky players behind you, or the table in general is nuts and you can count on it being raised & 3-bet nearly always behind you (and the action continuing postflop). While it's hardly oustide the realm of possibility that your ATo would be the best hand in the second scenario, it becomes very difficult to play a hand like this from out of position when you flop anything less than two pair/trips/straight. Incidentally, if this is the case you should probably consider finding a new table, or preferably, changing seats at this one to act after the LAG/maniacs.

The other hands follow basically the same pattern, although your raise/call situations will vary depending on your high card strength and how loose the players behind you are. For example, T9s:

Raise: The table is playing very tightly, and you can count on stealing the blinds about 50% of the time, either preflop or with a flop bet. Again, though, if this is the case you should probably just be playing out this orbit before finding a new table; I often find myself in this kind of situation when I'm playing at a table with one very bad player, and that player has just left the table. The remaining TAGs are mostly in the same mindset as I am (play out the orbit and leave), so you can often steal the blinds once or twice with mediocre hands.

Limp: When the table in general is very loose passive. You can count on the flop being at least 4 handed, and it will not be raised behind you very often.

Fold: The rest of the time.

These are just general guidelines, though. There are times when you can and should deviate from them in order to vary your game, particularly if you are playing at 3/6 or higher (or against regular opponents).
Old 12-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: PF questions

Thank you Harv, this is basicly what i was looking for. most of these hands I was uncomfortable calling with and being isolated, and thought it might be an error to raise, so I often chose just to fold.