Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 11:40 PM

Default My (Odd?) View on Money

Not just as an aspect of poker, actually that's probably one of the few ways I've disconnected from money. Seeing the numbers change on my screen don't bother me too much. Obviously losing sucks, and I don't take kindly to it, but it's not the same.

I really hate losing money(outside of gambling), and even spending it in some situations. And, not in a normal way either. For instance, we were talking about one of my friends who managed to blow through his $70k college fund in just over a year thanks to his crazy girlfriend, but that's another story. Anyway, I made the comment that "if I had $70k, the thing I would worry about most, is LOSING $70k." That sort of reasoning doesn't seem healthy.

Basically, the act of spending money makes the activity I'm spending it on a lot less enjoyable for me. I don't like going on vacations because it costs me money. If I'm having a bad day at the golf course, forget being upset about shooting 98, all I'm thinking about is that I just put another $3 ball in the bottom of a lake. Not that I lost a stroke, but that I lost $3. Again, this doesn't seem normal.

Why am I so obsessed/worried about money, and is it more normal than I think it is?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: My (Odd?) View on Money

[ QUOTE ]
Not just as an aspect of poker, actually that's probably one of the few ways I've disconnected from money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thought after reading this was that this might not be true.

You know (or have a good idea) where I am monetarily and what games I play, so I cant really talk here. But, I have a feeling that you arent able to seperate yourself from the money as well as you think you are.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm having a bad day at the golf course, forget being upset about shooting 98, all I'm thinking about is that I just put another $3 ball in the bottom of a lake. Not that I lost a stroke, but that I lost $3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop sucking at golf.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 AM

I can relate to you, very well actually. I too often get upset when I spent more money than I should've, or feel like I LOST $20 after eating.

Actually, I really do believe that this is unhealthy. Drew Carrey said, "How can you like money, if you can't enjoy spending it."

Oddly enough though, this is why I started really honing in on my poker skills. If your a really solid poker player, that money you "spent" on gambling will come back to you, and some.

Although for me, it might be different. I'm only 18, so for me, $100 is a lot of money. Ordinarily, I don't buy anything that's worth more than that, so blowing that much money on food and movie tickets seems a waste. But, I'm slowly coming to terms with my issue, and becoming less and less aggrivated on money spent.

Heh, I guess you could try this-- if eventually we all die, money ultimately becomes absolutely worthless for every individual. Things like health, friendship and general enjoyment far outweight the several thousands spent on vacation.

Or you can refuse to die.

Take care.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 AM

Money isn't real.

It's a way to keep score at the particular game you happen to play for a profession.

Like the poster before mentioned, you will die, and it doesn't matter how many chips you have in the bank. Live life and stop worring about money.

I don't know what else to say [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not just as an aspect of poker, actually that's probably one of the few ways I've disconnected from money. Seeing the numbers change on my screen don't bother me too much. Obviously losing sucks, and I don't take kindly to it, but it's not the same.

I really hate losing money(outside of gambling), and even spending it in some situations. And, not in a normal way either. For instance, we were talking about one of my friends who managed to blow through his $70k college fund in just over a year thanks to his crazy girlfriend, but that's another story. Anyway, I made the comment that "if I had $70k, the thing I would worry about most, is LOSING $70k." That sort of reasoning doesn't seem healthy.

Basically, the act of spending money makes the activity I'm spending it on a lot less enjoyable for me. I don't like going on vacations because it costs me money. If I'm having a bad day at the golf course, forget being upset about shooting 98, all I'm thinking about is that I just put another $3 ball in the bottom of a lake. Not that I lost a stroke, but that I lost $3. Again, this doesn't seem normal.

Why am I so obsessed/worried about money, and is it more normal than I think it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get this too. Money lost due to poker is just an investment. It comes and goes but mostly there is not a need to worry becuase if you are winning it always comes back (and brings some friends). Spending money on stuff just seems to be a black hole. Gone.

I also dont think that this is a really healthy view, but what can you do? I guess I could see a therapist but that would cost a lot of money. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 AM

I have a completely opposite world view. I have very little respect for money. I allways figured I have a paycheck coming, and I am never going to be on the street. I basically have a happy-go-lucky approach. Expensive holidays, great nights out, top restraunts, malt whiskies, etc. You only live once, and I would rather have experienced everything I want in life than have lots of savings and be a wise old prude.

Sure, sometimes this approach backfires and you find yourself in a financially sticky situation. But as long a you are smart and resourceful, there is allways a way out and a Plan B.

Just stop being such a nit and a tight-ass. Your on the golf course becuase you enjoy it. The expense is minimal (how many minutes of work did that golf ball cost you?). Just enjoy it. This attitude really winds me up, live a little man.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm having a bad day at the golf course, forget being upset about shooting 98, all I'm thinking about is that I just put another $3 ball in the bottom of a lake. Not that I lost a stroke, but that I lost $3. Again, this doesn't seem normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not normal at all. You should be using a $6 ball. Those don't go in the lake. Especially when hit with a $400 driver or $1200 irons. Or so I have convinced my wife.... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 09:46 AM

i have this same problem. i had it before poker and i still have it now. good to know im not alone
Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 AM

You actually pay for balls? It always amazes me how people manage to lose so many brand new balls on a golf course. I've been playing 20 years and have never ever purchased a new ball.....what's the point when you'll find at least three a round helping friends look for their balls. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Maybe the answer is to play on courses with really long rough and plenty of thick bushes they're a gold mine [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I think personally your view of money isn't that bad, just a little extreme.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:09 AM

My best friend has this problem too. He complains about the cost of just about everything; and when he's not complaining, he's justifying the expendature. He makes more money than I do so it's not as if he's poor.

I think a lot of people have either have an overinflated view of the value of money, or an underinflated view of the value of items or services. If you put too much worth/value into your money, everything you spend it on is -EV.

My friend has never complained about the cost of his boat, but he feels he needs to use it every weekend to make it's value equal the payments.

My approach is to try to accurately assess the value of the purchase or service. For example: I go out to eat at a nice restaurant. I don't have to cook. Someone waits on me. I have a choice of foods with (probably) more variety/courses than I would at home. Unless the food or service is horrible, it is worth the money.

Another example: we go to this one strip club. I don't get lap-dances there anymore. I LOVE lap dances. I have PLENTY of cash on me when we go. However, the chicks there suck at it, the songs are short/cut off, and it's $20 a pop (no multi-song discounts). The strippers can bitch all they want.

I believe the enjoyment and relaxation of a game of golf would/should exceed the amount spent on lakebottom golf balls, or maybe you should try buying in bulk so you could care less where they go.