Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Overheard a cheating braggart, snitch or no?

OP,

[censored] him over somehow. f the haters
Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never snitch. That's all.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

There is NO way that this is a correct, absolute, statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it isn't. Obviously you'd snitch if you saw your neighbor kidnap or harm a child etc. But when it comes to this setting I would never snitch on a fellow student to a teacher, no matter what. Is that any clearer?

Swede
Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Absolutist statements are usually a little shaky, and this one is a model of how poorly thought out they can be.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:55 PM

Anyone gonna watch "Codebreakers" on ESPN?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At my school your life is basically ruined

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Hardly any people caught cheating get expelled, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you know what school he goes to?

One of my friends goes to the air force academy and they take cheating insanely seriously. If you get caught you're [censored] and if you know someone who cheated and you don't tell, and someone knows this and then rats the guy and you out, you can also get in trouble for breaking the honor code or whatever.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could somebody link me to the cheating on the SAT thread?

thanks
blake

[/ QUOTE ]

that thread didnt actually discuss the ethics of it that much, most of it was about $$$. but it actually kind of feels good to me that I screwed over 95% of the SAT population out of .01% of a percentile.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it isn't. Obviously you'd snitch if you saw your neighbor kidnap or harm a child etc. But when it comes to this setting I would never snitch on a fellow student to a teacher, no matter what. Is that any clearer?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, much. However, please imagine a scenario (no "that could never happen," this is a philisophical hypothetic) in which you were up for a life changing award, i.e. massive scholarship, entrance into excellent program of some sort, et cetera. You and 1 other person. He gets in, you're assed out, you find out he cheated. Still an absolute?

As bad of a person as I appear on these forums, the issue of honor is very important to me. I enjoy these discussions.

Truthfully,
-Jihad
Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 PM

I actually have alot of friends that cheat off of me in several different classes. They use lots of methods to cheat besides just look at my work, but mainly any opportunity they get they just copy my work as closely as possible. They'll come by my house and copy my homework on the days we have to turn it in etc.

It doesn't bother me in the least.

Why?

Cause good [censored] luck ever getting further than me in anything thats why. Also, it makes for lots of good favors. Pretty much anything ya want.

Plus if the [censored] ever hit the fan, I feel that I would be a more effective cheater than everyone else. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

However, If it bothers you, go drop a line to the teacher, tell him to look out. Or slap the guy like hes a child outside of class, and tell him if you see him cheating you'll eat his soul (or something equally hard core). If you say this, you must actually mean it.

(this 2nd part doesn't even really require you to be able to beat the guy up, as he'll most likely punk out. If he doesn't punk out and you can't take him, just tell him you'll turn him in if he beats you up, then run away.)

blake
Old 12-08-2005, 08:26 PM

PM me with details

I attended UofI and did accy. BS in '02, MAS in '03. PhD student from Fall '03 to Fall '04. I know many of the professors and students. I TA'd Accy 304 and caught many a fiend. Most are just small time things that lead to a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, you do not have much 'hard' proof. Very little will happen to the student. You can only make the professors aware of shortcomings in their monitoring.

Legal Enviro of Buss...is this the introductory or the second level one Rostenkowski (sp?) teaches?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Re: Evidence...these are not verbatim, but close, at various points he says, "The professor only makes two forms for the exam, and is the only one walking around for it...I really need to do well in that class, I need to bring my GPA up to a 3.0 for the semester...I made sure to sit by the smart kids." So no, he doesn't actually say "I cheated," but I'm 99% that he did.

To StacysMom: his name is Rozkowski, he's probably like mid to late 50s with slightly thinning white hair, about six feet and looks like he used to box, and wears a shirt and tie every day. He carries an umbrella any day it even looks like rain, and ignores anybody who tries to interrupt his lecture with a question.

The class is over, so I can't do anything about it for this class except tell the professor what I heard. I can, however, warn a professor for a different class I have with the guy.

Beating the guy up is not an option...I'd put him on about fifty pounds heavier and a couple inches taller, plus I haven't seen a gym in about five years and this guy looks like a regular.

Edit: To MyTurn, it's his intro one, I really enjoyed it. This is all I really have in the way of details though, I can get Guy's name off the class roster for my small section I have with him, if it's of any use to you, but my understanding is I've got nothing, here.